Water jet cutting

This entry was posted in Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Water jet cutting

1. J-Dog says:

And it will go right thru your fingers even easier. The occasional deflection and back blast isn’t any fun either. We had one at my old shop that would cut through six inches of plate steel. The operator was setting up a plate and standing with one hand on the tank edge and one hand on the controller and when he hit go, the jet deflected off the surface of the plate, went up his sleeve, across his back and out his other sleeve, splattering the controller screen and soaking him pretty good. All in under a half a second or so. Luckily enough velocity was lost in the deflection he only got wet. I have heard of other incidents with less optimal outcomes.

2. Annie says:

The rest of it is fine, but cutting a gun in half is just wrong.

3. AZRobert says:

That’s some cool stuff, did that and nc controlled shear machines etc…before I moved to QA Inspection for the old Rohr company in Chula Wana, Ca. in the late 80’s…… Did enjoy the aerospace work but didn’t care for the union….One of the few jobs I did enjoy before retiring…..working in a Casino and watching tv was fun too……Just don’t miss work now!

4. grego says:

Wow. How does the water not wear out the nozzle that it is coming out of?

• J-Dog says:

It does. The water is actually infused with garnet, a type of stone. The nozzles are ceramic if I recall correctly and have a relatively short life span.

5. MadMarlin says:

I wonder if they use for medical education cadavers?

6. Charlie Hargrave says:

Powerful stuff. Did some work with ultra-high pressure washers a few years back. From a foot away would cut through an oak 4X4. Wicked stuff.

7. Paul B says:

Wow. that is one sharp knife.

8. Johno says:

Wirecutter, can you please introduce A.O.C. to this machine? I’m just curious as to what is actually inside there.

Play nice.