Another “Aw fuck” moment in time

This entry was posted in Aw Fuck. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Another “Aw fuck” moment in time

1. hvlee says:

Had that happen to my ’69 Cutlass. Chevys had “C” clip retainers inside but (most) Cutlasses axles were retained by pressed in bearing retainers at the hubs.

• Bert says:

’82 Impala broke the right rear axle when the car was going about 25mph-wife was taking the kids somewhere. After installing the new axle I notice the Powerglide was trashed. Never knew what went first. At least the tire/wheel did not go flying off into the ditch. Last fucking GM vehicle I ever owned.

2. Scarecrow says:

Rutrow Rorge!

3. Tom MacGyver says:

I’ve seen this several times over the years. It used to happen a lot on Fords in the ’70’s…

4. drjim says:

Damn c-clip axles…..

5. Ranch says:

Saw that happen once. Ruins your whole day, Iā€™m sure.

6. Cederq says:

Had that happen to me in a 73 Ford Station wagon pulling a 67 Merc Monterrey up the grade to Weed, Calif and had to coast down the long off ramp before i get get stopped as I had no brakes except the other side emergency brake. My hole sure puckered that day. A CHP was behind me with his lights on and laughing his ass off after I got stopped, at least he called me a tow truck.

7. Old Gray Wolf says:

Had that happen on an 84 Chevy as I was 2 blocks from the house headed for deer camp. Torque pin came out and trashed the gears and both axles. Was the impetus to take the 3/4 ton axles out of my old suburban and put under the truck. Went from 3.73 to 4.10 and lost fuel mileage and top end, but it would pull a house…

8. Pete says:

Saw that happen to a 1/2 ton Chevy years ago doing a pretty tough hillclimb. Made me a believer in full-floating axles.

9. RTinWeimar says:

More right hand turns and less lefts would reduce this occurrence.

10. Don McCollor says:

Also saw it from the passenger rear view mirror on a downhill in my dad’s (driving) old ’48 International with an overload of flax straw. Yelled about the wheel coming off and yanked the emergency brake – it was a band on the driveshaft so it locked the other rear wheel and stopped us – repairs shot the any profits on the straw,

11. Oswald Bastable says:

Happened to my ’72 Holden (GM) caught it in time.

Play nice.