No no, start ’em with a 22 revolver

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to No no, start ’em with a 22 revolver

1. GUNNY0369 says:

Are you fucking kidding me ! My girls didn’t hold a gun till they were 7 years old. Now they are experts. BB gun to .22 .38 .556 .410 12 guage. Let me meet this asshole. Stand the fuck by!

2. GUNNY0369 says:

Thanks Kenny for ruining my night! That guy needs to have the shit beat out of him. Looks like a volunteer fireman / national guardsmen. Thanks.

3. Hybo says:

Way to go, she will never want to shoot again….

4. RICK says:

In these things I keep thinking of that idiot instructor who allowed the nine year old first time shooter to fire a full auto with multiple rounds, He stood behind the girl. The muzzle rise ended shooting him in the head, Totally his negligence but how awful for the family. That fucker allowed that girl to suffer his death. That happened in NV.

5. Elmo says:

I loaned my Smith & Wesson Model 17-2 to a friend who took a bunch of kids from his church to the range for a day of learning how to shoot. He said every kid there loved that revolver and were passing up opportunities to shoot other guns to wait for another turn to shoot the Model 17.
    They all had a ball.

6. Mike says:

No hearing or eye protection?
    Idiot.

7. Kapt Kaos says:

That guy needs to get a grip. Seriously. I learned at age 5 with a .22 rifle and it was the most fun I’d ever had up until that point and it was an experience that has stayed with me my lifetime. That douche nozzle in that pic is insuring that the little girl never wants to shoot again. Too bad there wasn’t an adult there to temper that idiot.

8. Bill Arch says:

I learned to shoot 50 years ago using a .22 bolt action single shot Remington target rifle with target ammo.

9. warhorse says:

hell my dad started me out with an M1 Garand. at 14. he said “yer old enough to handle an infantry rifle. just watch your thumbs, and you’ll be fine…”

I think that gun was nearly as long as I was tall…

10. Greg B says:

I ordered a Ruger Wrangler because my young nephew wants to learn.
    I didn’t have a 22 single action, so hey, new gun for me!

• Rayvet says:

Funny. I’ve been thinking about adding a new wheel gun to my collection. Torn between the Wrangler and the Single Six. The single looks a little more “nostalgic” and has the ability to swap out cylinders for 22 magnum but that Wrangler is a neat looking gun.

11. Skip says:

Started my grandson on a 10-22 at 6. He loved it so much I bought him is own. Scoped, 6 mags, case, ear/eye pro, and brick of ammo. By age 8 he was shooting junior matches.
    My older granddaughter is into 3gun. She started at 15 with a CZ 9.

12. rightwingterrorist says:

I’ve got one of those inexpensive Heritage .22 single action revolvers.
    My little gals just love to shoot it.
    Oh, yeah, and they’ve also got pretty colored noise canceling earmuffs of their own.

13. UH1H CE says:

While a PPK does have a rough recoil and slide bite is very common, we’re all assuming that the gun is loaded and that they are going to shoot it. I taught my nephew handgun shooting on .380s.

14. DaveP. says:

Back when I was hanging at the range this was always one of my pet peeves. I’d see it a lot from “cool guys”. Things generally went like this:

-Guy wants to teach girl how to shoot.
    -Guy and girl come into range, guy hands girl 2″ .357 for her first shooting experience. No, I’m not kidding.
    -Girl pulls trigger once, decides she’s had enough, never touches a gun again.
    -Guy preens, ’cause he’s manly. Never mind that he totally failed at the goal of this exercise.

There were at least two times I’ve walked out onto the range and handed the girl my spare .22 and a box of ammo. I got some dirty looks from the guys, but the girls had a positive first experience and generally came back for more.

I always start a new shooter out on a 22. Always. Then I wait until they tell me that they’re comfortable enough to move up a larger caliber. It may be later in that session or it may be the next trip, but I’m not going to force anything on anybody.

15. FaCubeItches says:

Ow dare oo posh thaaa wi oua triggaa warring!
    – Zombie James Brady

16. samoore says:

My first time around firearms, I was 4 and tagged along with my Dad deer hunting outside Goldendale. Of course, I wasn’t carrying anything, but I still vividly remember the sound of his 1893 .38-55 Marlin going off.
    It was years before I got to handle that rifle, and it was just as loud as I remembered.

Play nice.