The Best of Coors

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to The Best of Coors

1. brighteyes says:

Fer you Coors drinkers. Coors built a huge plant in Elkton by gosh Virginny many year ago. I forget how many wells they sunk but were talking a lot. The plant is near across the road from the Merck Plant. Merck is where they make pharmaceuticals. They have leech fields outside Merck and they groom them with dozers. Been a couple dozers that went down in the muck never to be seen again. The leech runs off into the Shenandoah River. A couple miles down steam is Elkton and about ten mile more is the town of Shenandoah. Ya don’t drink the water in either of those towns. Hell, fifteen er twenty miles down is Stanley ya don’t drink the water there either. That’s not just because of leech from Merck but from Coors too.

• Sarthurk says:

Show me your data!

• Rayvet says:

Sounds like you’ve been toking off the old conspiracy theory doobie there bright eyes. So Merck has leech fields that have eaten bulldozers huh? Can you provide proof of that? And you don’t think the Fucking government and all their regulations on industries are going to NOT have Merck paying out the wazoo for containment methods etc. to prevent this type of thing? Nope.

• brighteyes says:

I lived there for 50 years. In the 70’s absolutely dozers sunk in the muck. You did not even leave a machine in those leech fields say on a Fri. because come Monday it just may not be there. I guess I shouldn’t even tell you ya can’t eat the fish outta the Shenandoah from Front Royal to Bridgewater due to mercury content yet from another factory dumping chemical. Merck has been sued many times for illegal discharge, look it up. Believe what ya like don’t make no difference to me.

2. Bert says:

If you tour the original Coors brewery in Golden, Colorado and are prone to jumping to conclusions there is one that meets your eye in screaming form as you approach the brewery: a large pond of water that looks a far cry from Rocky Mountain Spring Water. Turns out it is the cooling water for all their processes. But people conclude that is the water they use to make beer.

They have a series of wells that yield fantastic water.

There was a time when Coors had very limited distribution, as in just a couple of states. People who lived in those states would sometimes load up as much as they could carry and take it out of state for a tidy profit.

I don’t know if Coors still offers this as a fringe, but it used to be that the lunch room had beer on tap for the employees; same for the guided tour-they had a hospitality room where you could stay as long as you wanted, but they would draw the line on college kids who tried to stay all afternoon.

Coors is a good example of vertical integration: now only do they brew, but they also do their own packaging (cans, cartons, and even corrugated boxes-through subsidiaries), they have a dedicated construction company, and even have a hi-tech ceramics division. As I remember they were the first to license the seamless aluminum can technology from a Swiss outfit that invented it. Though they contract out the growing of hops and barley they do spend a lot of money on continuing ag research.

3. Richard Cranium says:

Ya know what coors and sex in a canoe have in common?

They are both fucking close to water.

4. W Wright says:

The beer in the lunch room stopped many years ago, after an employee DUI incident. And with tours, they discovered ways to make money, so free samplings were limited. At least that was the way it was back in the mid-90’s when I left Denver.

5. Unclezip says:

Reminds me of the generic beer and other items from the movie *Repo Man*. Funny stuff.

6. Hybo says:

Had this conversation before but again, some of you like to drink all kinds of different beer and that’s great. I enjoy a couple of these micro-brews once in awhile. As my go to beer? Always Coors regular. You may say it sucks, your opinion. I think Budweiser sucks. Oh, and that hospitality room at the Golden Colorado brewery, back in 1984, had a 2 beer limit from their taps. Also fresh-cut roses at each table from Mrs. Coors rose garden. I started drinking Coors many moons ago and will continue to drink Coors. I raise my Coors to you all in a toast to a true American legend!

7. M. Sage says:

Looks like a beer Bernie Sanders would be happy with.

Coors Banquet is alright. Coors Light, you might as well drink the water from the lake.

8. anonymous says:

Is that a ‘Haitian Zebco’ upgrade next to can of beer ? Cool.

9. Don Cornelius sr. says:

Colorado koolaide made famous by douchnozzle hipsters and johnny paycheck, great song , crap beer.

10. Sanders says:

Used to like Coors, then they got bought out by Miller and it doesn’t taste the same, anymore. Actually, none of the beer I used to drink tasted the same when I got back from my tour in West Germany. That country kind of ruined me on American beers until the micro-brewery craze came along and I could find beer that actually tasted like beer should.

• brighteyes says:

I have a friend that was stationed in Germany for six years. He says the same. He too like the micro-breweries. He says he enjoys a good pilsner. He says all the beers we drank as kids is garbage. And we drank them all. My father owned a bar so I had unlimited access.

11. Spin Drift says:

“Schafer, is the, one beer to have, when you’re having more than one.” My Uncle Marty (Iwo, 5th wave) would only drink this. He came to visit us from NYC with only three cases (we lived in Minnesota). He ran out crossing Indiana. So we go to the local liquor store to find a replacement. He buys a 6 pack, we sit in the parking lot, he pops one takes a swig and spits is out. Go get another. We do this 15 times until he settles on Old Style. He buys 6 cases and leaves the 14 six packs minus a bottle each on the sidewalk in front of the liquor store. Now a local LEO had rolled up by six pack #8 and is watching what is going on. As we are leaving, the LEO is talking to Uncle Marty about littering. Uncle Marty, after a short conversation helps the Officer load the 14 six packs minus a bottle each into the Officers trunk for the collection of evidence. About an hour later, said Leo drives up to our house and drops off what we would find out is his Dad. Seems the Dad and my Uncle Marty chewed some of the same volcanic dirt. Throat cancer got Uncle Marty 10 years later. Gotta love small towns.

Spin

12. Roy says:

All of those people who say: “[Fill in the brand here] tastes like panther/mule/or any generic “piss” beg the question…

How would you know?

13. Roy says:

Coors beer was one of the biggest disappointments of my young life.

In the early 70’s, Coors was limited to just a few western states, and where I grew up wasn’t one of them. When I joined the USN in 72, I met a lot of fellow sailors who were from those states. Almost without exception, they all sang the praises of Coors beer. According to them, it was heavenly nectar and all the rest were, wait for it… horse piss. So, in my young mind, I could hardly wait to be stationed out west so that I could sample that great beer. Fast forward two years to the fall of 74, and I finally made my way to the great state of Colorado. I sat down and had my much anticipated, heavenly nectar, ice cold, Coors.

All I could say then as now was: “Meh!”

It wasn’t bad. It just wasn’t any better than any other mass produced beer on the market – at least not in my opinion.

But then again, I’m definitely not a beer snob. The best beer is the one you drink, right out of the cooler, on a hot day after you have finished with a particularly tough and sweaty job.

The brand makes no difference at all.

14. Bert says:

I gave up on Coors about 4 decades ago; in retrospect I would guess their bean counters squeezed some cost and a lot of flavor out of their beer. Have never drunk a light beer of any brand and never will. Of the old beers still around (yeah, I know “old” is all relative) I think Schlitz has remained a pretty good, affordable beer, though it is sometimes hard to find. When I want a lot of very cold beer (hard work in the summer brings that on) it’s hard to beat PBR on price and quality.

Play nice.