Fuck ’em

(WSMV) – Grocery store chain ALDI is joining a growing list of retailers asking customers not to openly carry guns into stores in states where it is legal to do so including Tennessee and Kentucky.

According to a tweet put out by the company, only authorized law enforcement personnel will be allowed to continue openly carrying firearms in its over 1,900 US stores.

This entry was posted in Gun Control. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Fuck ’em

1. Rayvet says:

I know I’m going to get skewered here with this crowd but I’m going to say it. If these places are “asking” people not to “open” carry, I can live with that. Even in the gun community, you’ll see, read, hear a lot of differing opinions about benefits, cons etc. So if a company looks good in the eyes of the anti 2A crowd by banning open carry (let’s face it, most companies cater to both side of this debate), I can live with that and won’t “boycott” the company because of that. But that’s my opinion and I consider myself strongly pro 2A. Flame away.

• WoodBurner says:

Pretty much how we got here.

• Lineman says:

So play by their rules just don’t act like you are on our side…Take that no gun sign and put something else in its place and everyone would be screaming including you…

• Bad_Brad says:

Totally agree with you. It’s private property and their revenue. Now if they banned concealed carry I’d have a problem. I can imagine open carry scares the crap out of a big percentage of their market. These stores don’t set political policy. My position on open carry is it’s about as dumb as you can get. Having said that any gun law is an infringement. If you want to open carry on public property that should be your right.

2. Paul B says:

Dunno. seems to be a lot of smoke. Our state has had open carry for several years now, but it was always recommended to carry concealed to not scare the sheep.

Until they say do not carry at all I will continue like I do.

• Unclezip says:

Or as Miss Manners put it: “You can do whatever you want, just don’t scare the horses”.

3. SAM says:

Odd how they never ask in the UK when there it’s not legal/

4. SgtBob says:

Those places have “asked” customers not to carry openly, right? Will someone at a store deny entrance to a customer who is carrying? The part about increasing customer safety and lessening gun violence would be laughable if it weren’t so dumb.

5. Joe Blow says:

Dang. Used to shop there quite a bit.

6. Guairdean says:

I’d stop shopping there, but I did that after the first visit. They’re basically an over-rated dollar store, and now they’re trying to climb onto the latest publicity bandwagon.

7. The Rev. says:

Seems counter intuitive to ban open carry, especially in the rural or firearm friendly states. Real and potential criminals, getting the lay of the land, would want to know how many shoppers are carrying to know who to look out for, and possibly take down first.
    Carrying concealed gives you the edge, never giving your location away to a potential threat. Out of sight, out of mind.

• harrysteele says:

What absolute bs… parroting these things because you saw other fudds say it doesnt make it so… it has been beat to death and PROVEN to be false (take out first, take down first bs) so stop, just STOP with this crap!

• Tsquared says:

You won’t find an Aldi in a rural area. They are in metro areas. Target market is college educated younger families.

• crazyeighter says:

Sort of like a low-rent Whole Foods. (But I think Whole Foods is posted for no carry at all.)

8. Charlie says:

Agree with open carry or disagree with open carry, when an establishment bans something that is a constitutional right, I will always disagree with them and will not shop there.

For those thinking it ok because you don’t open carry, don’t you think they will be posting no concealed carry signs at the drop of a hat?

• crazyeighter says:

Post “No Concealed Carry” signs?

They’ll do exactly that as soon as they figure they can get away with it.

• Lineman says:

Good on you Brother if only more people had your convictions…

Who pays attention to No Concealed Carry signs? If it’s concealed, they’ll never know.

• harrysteele says:

Exactly!!! if there aren’t armed cops and metal detectors, I CARRY NO MATTER WHAT STUPID SIGN THERE IS, or what the “laws” say…

• HellYeahBrother says:

Mr. Wirecutter is spot on once again. I’ve never paid any attention to somebody’s sign, on the principle that your sign is not more important than my constitutional rights and personal safety. To my knowledge, nobody in my state has ever been convicted or fined for concealed carry in an establishment that posts a “no weapons” sign. As late as the 1960’s, grade school kids would hunt rabbits on the train tracks on their way to school. When they got to school, they had to put their 22’s in the principal’s office, where they picket them up and resumed the hunt on the way home. How far we’ve fallen.

We can’t legislate our way to safety. An armed society is a polite society. And so on and so forth.

• Free Citizen says:

Thanks for an intelligent answer. I carry EVERYWHERE. They will never know is a fact.

• Bad_Brad says:

Yea, except our local theaters now wanding you. Even Tupperware has to much steel to get passed that. Solution, I’ll wait for it on Red Box. I’m not going into the kill zone unarmed. Need I say the wifes pissed.

• Muzzle Blast says:

Don’t be too sure, if you went through the permitting process you gave them your DL/ID and when you got that down at the DMV they seized your facial biometric, it was scanned into the system and you probably don’t even realize it as they don’t tell you and you have no chance to consent or not consent. You have essentially outed yourself as a registered gun owner and hence, a potential public threat.

Those DMVs are hooked up or getting hooked up with the FBI/DHS NGI (Next Generation Identification) databases that are also tied into sundry camera networks for wide area facial recognition scanning:

We’ve seen how LEOs are getting private folks to let them tie into their Ring devices, so you just gotta know the next step is to suggest that the merchants should allow one of “their” cameras to be set up ostensibly for the benefit of the store being alerted when certain profiles cross the threshold.

You may have it concealed, but there is coming a day when the store “manager” will request to wand you down with a handheld magnetometer
        before being allowed in because when your face got picked up, the word GUN!! in flashing red letters is on the store security camera screen. Same deal for the popo computer screen when they run your places or scan your ID.

Sleep well (if you can) …

Maybe in a big city, but I live in rural Tennessee. Read the post I just put up about Testing Walmart.
          If a store manager requests to wand me, it’s not going to happen. I’ll just leave.

9. STW says:

It’d be amusing to see a company request customers not open carry while providing links to ccw holsters.

• Bad_Brad says:

lil jack, it’s not about comfort pal. It’s about speed. Can you pull that smoke wagon out of that Marsupial mess in under 1 second? I think not. Buy a real holster.

10. crazyeighter says:

Indeed…

11. Kp says:

I’ve always said, it’s much better to not open carry but have it when its needed. That is the story here as well.

12. AlphaDelta says:

Meijer as well: https://twitter.com/meijer/status/1171166513258274818

About half of the company’s 242 stores are located in Michigan, with the other half in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, and Wisconsin.

13. Bad_Brad says:

A Tupperware Moment, from Bad_Brad. Don’t think I’m the only one here that carries a Glock. Disclaimer, I AM a 1911 guy. Which is why I carry a Glock. I work for a living and beat the shit out of a carry weapon. Gotta a Les Baer to prove it. I love my G19. Eats anything. Added some Dawson Precision Sights and the damn little thing drives nails out to 25 yards. BUT, all American males have a big ass problem with one Glock feature. The damn gay mag release. An American thumb does not fit on that fagley (is that a word) design. My G19 is my primary carry weapon. I’ve been warned, don’t change shit except for the sights. So changing to an extended Mag Release don’t look good. So here’s a revolution boys and girls. Ran into an old Marsoc guy and he gave me a hot tip which has worked really well so far. “The problem with European Mag Releases is they are to narrow for the average American thumb. Cant your thumb sideways, don’t let go of your original grip. It’s all about fitting something narrow into that dumb ass design. I’ve done about 100 mag swaps tonight. Only shot the TV once. So far, I’m a believer.

14. Sanders says:

I shopped at an Aldi once. Once.

15. MeatPopsicle says:

Those Germans know all about disarming citizens.

Play nice.