Sunday Video 4

This entry was posted in Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Sunday Video 4

1. waitingForTheStorm says:

A good friend was a sky diver. One Monday, he told me that he had to cut away a non-deployed primary canopy on each of two successive jumps. I told him that was God demonstrating it was time to stop. Two weeks later, his canopy collapsed at 150 feet off the ground. Ne quite unceremoniously bounced. He lived eight hours, never regaining consciousness, of severe blunt force trauma. No thanks.

My dad was a skydiver when I was just a little guy. I never had any desire to do it.

• MartinFromGermany says:

A total of *three* non-deployed/collapsed primary canopies within the timespace of *two* weeks? I would say this is stochastically beyond the accident/unlucky coincidence range … someone was trying to kill this guy.

• waitingForTheStorm says:

The third, fatal, incident was his own fault. He was flying a “high performance” canopy and executed what I heard called (as I recall, it was thirty years ago) a low J hook into the wind; at 150 feet there was no time to recover. After his death, there was a huge discussion in the sky diving forums about the wisdom of selling a high performance canopy to someone not able to handle it. I do remember recalling, almost wistfully, the rush of terror when the first primary failed to deploy. He was an odd character, but aren’t we all?

2. AZRobert says:

Reminded me that every time i wanted to skydive and got the money up, some one would eat the ground or a mishap at the field east of Chula Vista. This was around 78 thru 83 time frame and I still have never jumped and with zero future plans to do it….

3. Nemo says:

There is never a good reason to exit a functioning airplane.

God did not design man to fly, on his own, outside of an airplane, although it’s not the flying that’s the problem. It’s the sudden stop at the end of the flight.

4. Dan says:

I’ve always said that I wanted to try skydiving. Not take it up as a sport, just try it once.
    I am almost 70 years old.
    Apparently I am also a liar!

5. Michigan Doug says:

Bird shit and fools.

6. Randy says:

If he didn’t have the reserve chute he had the rest of his life to fix the primary one.

7. 8kjumps says:

Have over 8000. 6800+ as an Instructor. 12 cut aways. He did good .

8. MMinLamesa says:

It’s a hoot falling out of the plane and looking up at it as it flies off. Dangling your feet out of the open door 1,000s of feet up is also a trip. This guy handled that pretty fucking well.

9. A.C. says:

I once had a “hard landing” while skydiving. Never been so happy to have a limp as after that fiasco .

10. john says:

Been there,Done that.

11. Name says:

Real men aren’t afraid to fly or jump out of an airplane.
    The others whine and bitch about it on the Internet.
    When it cools down after the summer, I gotta schedule some more jumps.

Play nice.