Testing Walmart

Gun rights activists in Texas are testing Walmart’s request not to open-carry in stores by doing just that.

David Amad, the vice president of Open Carry Texas, told The New York Times the 38,000 members of his group have openly carried their guns inside Walmart stores since the retailer announced last week it is “respectfully requesting” customers to no longer openly bring guns into its stores.

He said none of the members who have done so have been asked to leave.

*****

I’ve shifted as much of my shopping to the other grocery store in Lafayette, but I’ve been to Walmart a couple times since they’ve announced their decision to not allow open carry in their stores. In a small town, there’s some things that only Walmart carries unless I want to travel 40 miles and I just don’t have that kind of gas budget.
But I’m still seeing the same amount of people carrying their firearms openly, nobody’s nervous, the employees aren’t freaking out, and there’s still no sign on the door telling folks not to open carry.

This entry was posted in Gun Control, Guns. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Testing Walmart

1. Frank says:

I like it!

2. George says:

Like a lot of things, I suppose it’s all about where you are located

3. Tennessee Budd says:

I’d boycott them, but I can’t. I quit shopping there when they pulled all their Confederate battle flag merchandise. Haven’t set foot in Mall-Wart in years now.

4. Fredd says:

I live in Illinois, where carrying a weapon openly on your person will get you wrestled to the ground by every cop within 50 miles, and you may even get shot.

Unless you are a gang member in inner city Chicago, then you can walk around with a stolen gun all day and nobody will say boo. And then kill a few of your neighbors, just to keep the working parts of your stolen gun from getting rusty, no problem. Just ask newly elected gay black female mayor Lori Lightfood what she plans to do about this. (rhetorical questions: she will wring her hands harder than normal. Post more cops on the streets? Nope, can’t do that, it will take revenues away from deserving crack whores and crooked politicians. Ease up the strictest gun laws in the country? No way, says Lori, then there would be gunfire in the streets day and night.

Like there is now….

5. The King may command but the borderlands will do what they think best.

• Bad_Brad says:

Yep. I live in Northern California County that is filthy with Carry Permit Holders. Back when Starbucks decided your gun was no longer welcome, and they posted it on their door, local Starbucks business dropped to it’s knees. The sign were off the doors in about a week locally.

6. trib says:

Wally world destroyed most of the small biz in our town

• Bad_Brad says:

You need to try and dig up an old PBS Frontline episode of “The Outsourcing of America by Walmart”. It’s hard to find. But you won’t sleep for a week. Trust me.

7. massimo7 says:

Ever since their announcement I have quit shopping there, and I used to shop there a lot since they were close and convenient.

8. Donnie says:

I’ve come to find that, no matter what you do, You’re going to find so called “social justice” at the head of any commerce you do. Squeeze the corps anywhere you can and live your life as independently as possible. Trade with small businesses as much as possible. The true test is what you do for your family and the close circle of friends you have. Honor God and Love those who Love You. The dirt people win in the end. Sermon over.

Play nice.