The History of Fort Huachuca, Arizona

A product of the Indian Wars of the 1870s and 1880s, Fort Huachuca, Arizona was established in March 1877, at the base of the Huachuca Mountains. The name “Huachuca” comes from an obscure local American Indian language which, when loosely translated, describes a “place of thunder.”

The fort was one of a chain of forts established to guard southern Arizona against the Chiricahua Apache, led by Geronimo. The troops also worked to block the traditional Apache escape routes through the San Pedro and Santa Cruz Valleys to Mexico.

*****

I almost got stuck there. All tower men went to Ft Huachuca after they completed their first tours. Luckily, I knew that so it made getting out of the army just that much easier when my time was up.

This entry was posted in History. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The History of Fort Huachuca, Arizona

1. Robert Tresco says:

Huachuca sucked. Worst year of my life. They sent every regular Cabledog from the AIT company except 3, there in early 88′. Thank God I came down on orders for Germany a week before thanksgiving.

The only good thing I’ve heard about Huachuca was the tower men they sent there did a lot of TDY putting up towers across the western US. In other words, the best part about the place was you didn’t spend much time there.

• RobertT says:

I honestly don’t know about that. 16th had the tower guys. I was in 69th. We had all the splicers.

2. Capt Rick says:

I was born there…

3. mrgarabaldi says:

If I had stayed in, I would have gone to Huachuca for add on training and BNNOC and AANOC. I went to AIT at Fort Devons in MASS, but DA closed that school in the early 90’s. as part of BRAC.

4. Alemaster says:

One of the flight detachments that I was responsible for was at Huachuca so I spent a fair amount of time there. Sierra Vista was kind of booming back in the early 90s and I guess there is still a large contingent of Military Intelligence retirees in the area. Good for them and bless their hearts. Flying out of there was usually the best part of the trip; that is saying a lot when one is heading back to Ft. Hood and Robert Gray AAF. regards, Alemaster

So I did good by avoiding it then?

• Alemaster says:

Probably more than you will ever know Amigo! If you think you’ve seen bad Signal Officers, wait until you get a load of MI. There, I’ve probably offended everyone. Next: MSC. (Boy, I’m probably gonna live to regret this reply) regards, Alemaster

Oh, I’ve seen some seriously stupid Signal Officers. Thankfully, most of them seemed to grow out of it after they got their silver bars. I’ve got a story started on Lieutenants I’ve known, one of these days I’ll get around to finishing it.

5. Hotel1 says:

ASU ROTC used it as a training ground in the early 80’s.
    MS4’s beating on the MS3’s
    We housed in the old post Theater of Construction wood barracks.
    There was a huge hole in middle of the floor of the second story we stayed in..
    The land nav course went straight, up and down.
    The landscape was real purty.

6. Sanders says:

Most of my family live in the area, but none of them are/were military. It’s just where we all wound up over the years. I lived in Sierra Vista for a few years before moving to New Mexico.

The area is a good place to live, but I dang sure would have never wanted to be stationed there, when I was in the Army.

7. MadMarlin says:

4 months before the 1st Gulf war, My Dad had to go to Huachuca to help train the non battle tested OV-1 Mohawk pilots. What all that entailed I haven’t a clue. Just a few years later the Mohawk was retired. If I remember correctly my Dad said Huachuca was a lot like Ft. Polk… nice to visit a short time but was great to see it in the rear view mirror.

Play nice.