Want, need, gotta have

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Want, need, gotta have

1. MartinFromGermany says:

Wiesel. Armoured Weapons Carrier, built by Rheinmetall. German light air-transportable multi-role armoured fighting vehicle. Very useful tool for the military commander on operations as it offers high agility and versatility in all its roles.

• Elmo says:

I’ll take a Wiesel 2, with the VW turbo diesel. I had a naturally asperated diesel VW pickup, purchased it new in ’81. The mileage I got in that thing was surreal. 40+ mpg in the mountains and 50+ mpg on a freeway trip. I wish I still had that sucker.

• Tom says:

I thought it was a Smart Tank.

2. Bright Eyes says:

Yer at a stop light texting? No problem, continue. I’ll just go over you.

3. Frank says:

Oh hell yes !!! That looks like fun!

4. Mark says:

Direct descendant (copy? Inspired by?) WWII Studebaker weasel

Didnt even change the name.

5. george seymour says:

The WW2 Weasel looks like the base model that was modded to become the “Lost In Space” vehicle in the 60’s show.
    The newer one looks a lot like a Brit WW2 Universal Carrier with an enclosed upper section.
    Cool either way.

6. Cederq says:

I used to have a Matchbox toy car like that….

7. FaCubeItches says:

I still want a Panther tank for my commute. I may only be able to do 30 mph, but I’ll do 30 mph regardless of the congestion.

8. tallow pot says:

There was a two seat armored scout car at a military vehicle show near here. Four wheels, driver down in front, gunner in turret up & behind. Tiny and narrow. I don’t know who made or where it’s from, but I want one.

9. tallow pot says:

Did I mention, the scout car was street legal and had a current license plate.

10. warhorse says:

I’d love to find an ONTOS. my dad loved those things. Weisels are ok, but they’ll never had the punch an ONTOS did….

• MartinFromGermany says:

I beg to differ, having operated and commanded both WIESEL 1 and 2 versions. The ONTOS certainly packed a mighty punch but on today’s battlefield it would be obsolete.
      Anyhow, having the WIESEL is pure joy. The 20 mm MK20 autocannon is sheer bliss when it comes to sending steel downrange while TOW gives you nearly two and a half miles (3750 metres) of deathly outreach. I hope we will get more of them … soon!

11. bogsidebunny says:

Size may matter, but smaller gets through today’s traffic jams better:

12. Old Gray Wolf says:

I suspect the road agents in most places would have something to say about the use of a tracked vehicle on a roadway. If studded tires in summer can get you a ticket… Never mind that in modern FUSA, one is likely to NEED a tracked vehicle to traverse a roadway, given the crumbling condition of the infrastructure.

13. Gryphon says:

The Studebaker Weasel was a purpose-built Tracked Carrier for Snow Travel, intended for the possible Invasion of Norway in WWII. it used the Engine and Transmission of a Studebaker Pickup, and a lot of them are still in use, and there are even Aftermarket Parts Suppliers.
    As for Driving a Tracked Vehicle on the Road, in Virginia it is O.K. if you are on Rubber Tracks (or Pads). I have seen Claas and Caterpillar (Challenger Series) Farm Tractors running around in the Shenandoah Valley area. A Challenger 95 is the size of a D-8 and takes up a 2-Lane Road…

Play nice.