Who needs a phone?

Typical European women – when I was in Germany you could walk around town and see this quite a bit, women passing the time by hanging out the window and talking to their neighbors for hours on end.

This entry was posted in funny pics. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Who needs a phone?

1. NITZAKHON says:

It begs the question: How many of us talk with our neighbors these days, except in passing?

A short anecdote. After I graduated I landed a job in the Midwest. After I moved into my apartment I made an attempt to introduce myself to my apartment-building neighbors. Unlike the close-knit community where I’d grown up, where everyone knew everyone (and news of anything bad I did beat me home!) people were outright rude and pushed me away. I was shocked (yes, naïve).

But I did become friendly with one, a police officer, whose statement that I should get a gun for self-defense was so contrary to all the “conventional wisdom” I’d learned as a kid growing up in uber-left Cambridge, Massachusetts, that it was THE seminal event in my starting to move to the Right.

2. SWRichmond says:

Talking is what they do best.

3. bogsidebunny says:

Ditto NITZAKHON. I grew up in a small North NJ town in the 50s. Everyone was friendly and we all knew each other. Hell, we had 4 party phone lines and rarely used them because we preferred to converse with friends eye-to-eye. When we left the house no doors were locked. Now I’m living in Manhattan south….Near Asheville, NC and if you even smile and say good morning to the entitled Millennial twits they reach for their iPhone ready to push the local police App. to report a “triggering event”. Now some of the “few” natives about my age and I get together usually in one of the few remaining “gun shops” and talk about being happy that we won’t have to suffer this shit much longer.

• NITZAKHON says:

If it weren’t for my kids and having to shepherd them to adulthood, quite honestly I’d be ready for CW2 to kick off now. Not that I’d make it through alive but hopefully I could take a few Leftists with me.

A number at my Synagogue would be high on the list – pro-migration Jewicidal Yidiots.

4. Padawan says:

Last Saturday night Warhorse’s six year old niece asked him for his phone so she could watch a movie on it. She looked at him like he had five heads when he told her he didn’t have a phone.

5. Lord of the Fleas says:

Yannow, in North America those two windows would be in the same room, not neighbouring apartments 10 feet wide.

• NITZAKHON says:

HAH!

I remember when my fiancée arrived from overseas – she was living in Saint Petersburg, Russia at the time in, almost literally, a subleased broom closed.

We walked into my spacious (!) two-bedroom apartment with vaulted ceilings. She looked around and said WOW, WHO ELSE LIVES HERE??? Could not fathom that the whole place was for just us two.

When her family visited us for the first time at our house, they were floored. The mother’s whole APARTMENT could have fit into our first floor with room to spare.

6. Old Grump says:

Noisy old ladies in Holland and Denmark buy a set of mirrors that look like two slightly offset rearview mirrors and mount them on the window frame, enabling them to look both ways up and down their street while relaxing in a chair beside the window. You couldn’t pick your nose without them informing the whole neighborhood.

7. Bert says:

At least there was a time in ‘merica when the ladies would talk out in the back yard as they were hanging out the wash (remembering June Cleaver here). Today, try asking anyone under 50 if they even know what a clothes line is.

8. Bright Eyes says:

My question, What ta fuck do they talk about for hours on end? I’ve hung with friends and we never say a word for long periods of time. Ya talk when there is something to say. Like yup and ya both don’t say yup at the same time. That would be rude.

9. just sayin says:

l learned long ago never talk to the neighbors, cause when the eventual falling our occurs, someone gotta move, and it aint going to be me.
    (and it’s generally because you finally say no to the “want want want want” of sponges)
    nod to them, say good morning to them, but that’s it. can’t get burned that way.

Play nice.