Washing Eggs – The Why And How

There is an age-old debate surrounding the idea of washing fresh eggs, and there are really two ways of looking at it.

To understand why there are so many questions surrounding the great-egg-washing debacle, we need to go over the concerns that arise around egg-washing.

*****

I don’t wash my eggs until I’m ready to use them. They keep nicely on a counter top and I’ve never had any issues with them.

This entry was posted in Chickens, Tips and tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Washing Eggs – The Why And How

1. nonncom says:

I thought there was some kind of membrane on eggs that was removed by washing, allowing bacteria to penetrate the shell….could been a bad dream, I guess….

A fresh laid egg is moist and it dries within just a few seconds after being laid. That’s the bloom that the article says keeps the bacteria out.

2. Capt. Craig says:

I get my eggs from a friend who is a hobby farmer, he loves animals, who keeps a spotless coop and I have been getting eggs from him for years and horror of horrors, I have never washed a single egg. We eat at least a dozen eggs a week sometimes more and have never had a problem.

3. SgtBob says:

Read somewhere that it against the law to wash eggs in EU commerce.

4. censusdesignatedplace says:

Asked my wife to wash my eggs for me once. She told me to fuck off.

5. Mad Jack says:

Question for those in the know:

I’m 67 and never washed an egg, all of which come from the supermarket. They get them from the egg truck. Anyway, have I just been lucky? What’s the real deal?

Second question: If I’m going to use fresh eggs in a recipe, and the eggs are uncooked, what kind of eggs should I be using? You know, to avoid sickness and lawsuits.

Thanks!

6. g... says:

My wife has threatened to cut off me and the kids hands should she find us prematurely washing eggs. Apparently they keep a lot longer unwashed.

I’ve kept mine on the counter top for up to a month before.

• Capt. Craig says:

As someone who has lived on a sailboat and cruised offshore I and many of my compatriots would take fresh laid eggs and cover them in Vaseline, while I have never had to use those eggs after more than 5 weeks I know of some folks who have had eggs that were palatable after two and a half months and have been told that they can be kept longer.

Play nice.