Why you don’t get into cars with strangers

Police are investigating after a man taking a ride home after a night out in West Hollywood was robbed by his Lyft driver at gunpoint this summer.

Albert Sera says he called a ride to his home in the San Fernando Valley only to have his cellphone, wallet and other belongings stolen in an experience he describes as “horrifying.”

This entry was posted in California, News. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Why you don’t get into cars with strangers

1. Rick says:

The article says the driver ordered the fare out of his car. It was the guy got out and left his stuff behind. I guess he panicked from having a gun pointed at him at close quarters. If only he had his belongings on his person, you know, being prepared. The article makes it sound as if the driver has experience doing this.

2. Rick says:

I’ve gotten into the cars of strangers. My rule has been that I could rob or harm them better than they could harm me. I always insisted on sitting up front so I could exact some form of control if need be. I used to do a lot of hitching. Even up to the late 1990s. The only reason I stopped was because the difficulty to get a ride exceeded my tolerance.

This Uber/Lyft craze has created new scams for the criminally minded. Anyone willing to expose themselves to the risk should be prepared to manage that risk.

3. Critter says:

Once upon a time, we were told to not get in a car with strangers and to not meet anyone from the internet.

Now, we order up a stranger from the internet, to get into a car with them.

4. bogsidebunny says:

Why you don’t get into a car with a stranger….Especially any coastal city in California.

• Rick says:

Well, of the city part I’ll agree. But I spent over thirty years living in CA coastal towns and can say its as friendly as you want it to be, Well, maybe was, as in past tense. For hordes of metro city rats have invaded.

5. Padawan says:

I use Lyft all the time and have no complaints. I stopped using Uber for good about a month ago when they decided to start charging their customers a $2.95 “booking fee” without telling them. (At least that’s the excuse they gave me in response to the email I sent them.)

6. Heathen says:

West Hollywood tells me all I need to know .

Play nice.