Cold Weather Concealed Carry Tips

It’s time to get your furnace ready for the winter months, and also time to get yourself ready for winter concealed carry.

That means rethinking how you draw from concealment. On cold winter days, you could be dealing with base layers, a heavy shirt, bulky jacket, and underneath it all your concealed gun.

Imagine digging for your firearm under all those layers, searching for the thing you need most, at a time when you need it fast.

Here’s how I imagine it happening for me…
Heathen

This entry was posted in Guns, Tips and tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Cold Weather Concealed Carry Tips

1. massimo7 says:

If you pocket carry this is not that much of an issue.

2. Bad_Brad says:

Yikes. shots on target in two seconds? If your attacker already has his gun pulled I think you are asking to get shot. An action beats a reaction has it’s limits. We should all practice our speedy draw routines and our reloads. Am I drawing on someone that already has their gun out? In a crowd maybe but generally HELL NO. I prescribe to the train of thought that the best way to survive a gun fight is don’t get in one. Situational awareness is a BIG DEAL.
    I read an article sometime ago titled “Your Own Personal Gun Fight”. ( it might have been posted here) Anyway, I can no longer find the article, but it had to do with evaluating your most likely threat in consideration of where you live and your life style, etc. For example I live in a fairly rural area. Being Car Jacked would be way down on my lists of concerns. Things that need to be considered.

3. ChuckN says:

Some good good for thought in the article. For me I find mittens are faster to remove than gloves though I may where thin gloves underneath. My coats have a pass-through pocket or have a pocket insulated enough that the gun won’t freeze. Also my winter ccw has a larger trigger guard and grippier side panels.

4. FormerFlyer says:

Like a lot of people, my Winter CCW is SMALLER than my Summer piece. A J-frame or a .380 fits very nicely into an outside coat pocket (use a pocket holster, please). Also, get used to NOT wearing gloves, like only an idiot does in cold weather. Why? Then you’re one of those mouth-breathers that always walks around with their hands in their coat pockets.

Beginning to sense a system here? Because if there’s any system faster to present from than a coat pocket with your hand already firmly on your piece, then I don’t know what it is. Oh, and if you’re looking for the fastest system to SHOOT from, then stick to the concealed hammer revolvers and just shoot through the pocket. Makes a mess of your coat, but that’s probably not your primary concern at that point.
    FormerFlyer

5. John Deaux says:

You and I are in complete agreement

6. soapweed says:

Always laugh at he dilemmas that a city slicker faces daily. Solution: perhaps a pair of Carhart – type pastel print insulated overalls might jest be the ultimate in fashion options, with the interior concealed suede lined bib pockets and shiny patent leather ankle high Muck boots.
    Although truthfully, I’m hoping Santa brings me the latest: the soy boy Mary Poppins faux umbrella/calf catcher hook with a super secret pleated concealed carry compartment.

7. CC says:

I found a leather MC jacket that has an outside zippered holster-shaped pocket; it is the way to go.
    Fits a snubby .45 perfectly.

8. Paraclete says:

For me, cold weather means shoulder harness weather.
    Being in the upstate SC we don’t get to multi-layer
    much. Unless you’re outside all day.
    Also, colder weather see’s OTW holster use too, as
    coats and jackets will provide good cover.
    Never been a big fan of ITW holsters as they call for
    a larger waist line.

My method of carry doesn’t change, but I tend to change calibers when it gets cold from a 45 ACP to a 357 magnum – something with a little more power to punch though more layers of clothing if need be.

Play nice.