Cool story, fucked up ending

On Thursday night, 7 November, 2019 a little after 11 p.m., at the Motel 6 in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, Greg Sapp was on the walkway outside of his and his wife, Vicki’s motel room on the second floor. He was getting a smoke. He did not know he would be emptying his Kimber .45 into a charging black bear within seconds.
Herschel’s take on it HERE

This entry was posted in Tennessee, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Cool story, fucked up ending

1. Andy says:

I just finished reading this story on another news feed and am quite shocked to find Greg was charged with ‘reckless endangerment”, which makes no sense at all since all rounds hit the target. That charge and discharging a firearm in city limits. Both of these are bullshit charges and scream of being brought by someone that walks to the left.

• Jeffery in Alabama says:

Those charges are pure bullshit Andy. I hope Mr. Sapp beats the “wrap” and gets his gun back without having to pay some sort of .gov ransom. I’d ask for a jury trial. I know if I were a juror I’d vote “note guilty” and if the majority of the pool went the other way, I’d hang that SOB up for sure.

2. Nemo says:

I was reminded, just this summer, why I should have a large caliber hand gun close at hand when outside at camp. I was sitting out side in the sun reading. Its around 2:00PM. I need to check on something inside. As I’m walking back through camp, upstairs, I hear this low growling noise coming the end window away from where I was sitting. I look out and see a large black bear (probably a female) and a black bear cup across the road about 50 feet from the back of camp and probably about 70 feet from where I was sitting, unarmed.

The mamma bear was growling and popping her jaws, something I had observed only on TV wildlife programs, so I new she was agitated. After a minute or so she and cub went back into heavier brush and continued on.

Since then when I go to camp, I make sure to have a large caliber weapon with me when I’m outside.

3. Antibubba says:

Charged? In TENNESSEE??

How much of California did you take with you, Kenny?

4. Bad_Brad says:

Lots to unfold in this story. “imminent threat” . Seems simple enough. Why is the Captains Journal so concerned with the Sheriff? The DA had to bring the charges. Call that Moron.
    Don’t buy cheap 1911 mags. They don’t feed.
    Less than a year ago an Alaskan Fishing Guide killed a charging Brown Bear with a Glock 17. Ammo? HST’s.

5. Ohio Guy says:

Two questions here. One, did the po po really need to be called? Two, why would anyone carry a sub compact 1911 with shiny shit and pearl handles @ $1800, that can only reliably cycle 6 rounds?

I carry a sub compact 1911 Colt Defender that cost me $1000 brand new.

• Ohio Guy says:

I don’t own a 1911 but someday, I may. I went with an M&P 2.0. 10 round double stack. $600. My most recent firing was hitting inside a 8″ paper plate at 52 yards. Not bad eh?

6. WestcoastDeplorable says:

You’re right, what a fucked up ending. What if that bear had attacked some of the other lodgers or their children? This guy did their community a big favor in my opinion. Some cops think they’re the only ones who should be able to carry.

7. Joe Blow says:

Bears are a common sighting in G’burg… all the damned trash the tourists bring with them and don’t secure properly The bears are practically tame… could have flicked your butt out and gone back into your hotel room… and taken your ugly mutt with you.

Look, this guy was downtown, not in a backwoods cabin. But instead of understanding the situation we’ll just read a (right wing pro gun biased) piece of propaganda and get all bent out of shape.

I agree with the police in charging him. You don’t discharge your gun inside city limits. PERIOD. He can go to trial and ask a judge and/or jury if they feel he was right in violating the law, and be released from his charges. Irrespective, he discharged a firearm inside city limits which is considered reckless endangerment. This is why we have a legal system, and this is how its supposed to work. If judge/jury finds he acted reasonably under the circumstances (which in east TN they likely would…), he gets his sissy gun back and doesn’t go to jail.

But you still don’t get to pop off in town because you saw a fucking bear. You’re visiting THEIR home, can’t shoot a motherfucker for walking from his living room to his fridge…

Gawd, I’m even pro gun, but all these fuckwits that have never been to the mountain resort town start throwing their opinion around like its worth more than a bag of dicks, and the sheeple regurgitate it dutifully because they haven’t two cells between their ears that can generate a spark! Use your fucking brain people, it ain’t there to keep your neck exercised. Shooting a gun in a crowded city is reckless! You may be justified (e.g. charging bear, porch monkey, meth head, ex-wife, etc.), BUT IT IS STILL RECKLESS BEHAVIOR! Let a jury of your peers decide. BAM, criminal justice 1-of-fucking-1.

If he was in reasonable fear of his life, whether it was by a human or animal, he was perfectly justified in shooting within city limits.
      Granted, I would’ve just hollered real loud, but I’m not afraid of a black bear. Others might be.

• Lineman says:

Bullshit Blow your just another troll that has found this site…We can spot you fuckers a mile away because you always insert I’m progun but, I’m conservative but, or I’m for free speech but…You guys need to get a different manuel…