Hogs in Kentucky

The war on feral hogs at Land Between the Lakes on the border of Kentucky and Tennessee has escalated, with plans announced last week to shoot them on sight from helicopters.

The winter campaign to eradicate feral hogs at LBL begins in November and also includes bait trapping and euthanasia, managed by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife and the U.S. Forest Service.

Feral hogs are nonnative and threaten visitor safety, cultural sites, and native plant and wildlife species, LBL officials said.

*****

I live halfway across the State from the area described, close enough to the State line that I can shoot a rifle from my back porch and blow up a Kentucky meth lab, but I’ve yet to see a single feral hog or even any sign of one since I’ve been here.
Come to think of it, I haven’t even seen a domesticated hog here.

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Hogs in Kentucky

1. SgtBob says:

From Google overhead, you’ve got woods, water and food hogs will eat. You have feral hogs.

Yup, it’s prime country. I can go to the other side of the Cumberland which is about 15 miles south of me, and there’s hogs there. As lightly traveled as the bridge at Hartsville is, you’d think there’d be hogs constantly crossing it.

• SgtBob says:

I noticed some big chicken houses NW (I think) of Lafayette. I’ve never heard of feral hogs raiding those 35,000-bird facilities. Maybe chickens make too much noise?

Huh, I’ve never seen any chicken houses here. Haven’t smelled any either and me being from Central California I’d have noticed that fragrance right away. How long ago was it?

2. brent says:

They’re in east TN. About every 3rd year, they hit my chestnut nut fall and I find their scat. Then they are gone. I have confirmed with TWRA that the scat is hog. Their previous logic was that once they move into an area, they don’t leave and they were surprised at what I told them.

3. chillhill says:

No domesticated hog prob why you don’t have then… yet.

Byw, they’ll be using *gasp* an Armalite rifle to shoot them hogs from the helicopter…

4. anonymous says:

Feral hogs can be pretty crafty. Way smarter than deer in my opinion, the few times have seen feral hog crossing the senderoes is at a trot. They aren’t usually dumb enough to stop in middle of the road unless they find food there. Their rooting causes major damage to crops, fences and landscaping, looks like a dozer pulling a drag did the work.

Their flesh has more fat than deer and cooked in a slow cooker, damn tasty if you don’t kill an old boar. Less than 200 lb. live weight will yield pretty good meat, but the younger the more tender and flavorful.

The really cool thing about feral hogs – usually no seasons or illegal methods of killing, so nightime is fine – just let the game warden know of your plans. Land owners are pretty accommodating too – feral hog are very destructive.

• FrankP says:

Yep. Pigs are smart. They’re in the top five smartest animals (aside from humans).

5. Roy says:

No wild hogs near you…Hmmmm better give jack and extra Treat!!

6. Frank says:

Would be way cheaper to put a $50 bounty per head would be far more effective also.

7. SgtBob says:

The Great Appalachian hog drives. In 1847 one tollgate in North Carolina recorded 692 sheep, 898 cattle, 1,317 horses, and 51,753 hogs.

A good read.

8. rightwingterrorist says:

Just the opposite of my problem here in NE Texas.
    I can, and have, shot the damn nuisances in my back yard.
    Trap, snare, shoot.
    Filled freezers,ground burger, made a gazillion types of sausages.
    Done it all.

• Gryphon says:

RWT – can you Hunt them with Dynamite where you live? I’ve seen a couple Vids of that, looks like Fun.

I’ve got Coyotes and use a borrowed pair of Aviation NVG’s and an AR with Suppressor in the Fields against the Woods – if you’re not shining Lights around, you can get pretty Close to them before they move away.

Use a red lensed light on coyotes, it doesn’t seem to alarm them at all. I had one mounted on my 22-250 and when I’d shine it on them, they stopped and looked trying to figure out what it is, then they went back to doing whatever it was they were doing.

9. Tennessee Budd says:

Well, if they hadn’t thrown my mother’s side of the family out from ‘tween the Rivers in order to build LBL, I imagine there wouldn’t be any such problem in the first place.
    Yes, the family is still pissed off about that.

Play nice.