Mousing a hook

Several readers wanted to know what I meant about ‘mousing a hook’ when I captioned a post with it a little earlier today and Beaches was kind enough to dig up a video showing how it’s done – kinda sorta.
The video makes it look like a lot more work than is necessary. For one thing, it shows how to mouse it with an empty hook. Uh-uh. You mouse the hook after it’s attached to your load.
We always used baling wire when I was working on towers in the army. It’s a lot quicker and easier because you just make a couple quick wraps with the wire and then twist the ends around the middle portion to tighten it up and secure it. When you want to take the load off, you just whip out your handy bolt cutters and snip it off.
Anyways, here’s the video.

This entry was posted in Tips and tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Mousing a hook

1. Cederq says:

I knew what ya was talking about. I have even used duct tape to mouse a hook. Sure it takes a few minutes to apply one but you don’t get a tipping load or a falling load and you under it. Baling wire was what we used, cause it was stronger, easier to put on and faster to cut off.

2. tallow pot says:

Thanks for the information. I’d never given it a thought before. Ignorance is bliss until shomething happens.

3. John h says:

All hooks now hafta have a safety latch. Osha.
    John h

• Rick says:

Don’t trust them. The latches are secured by a pin. With any sideloading (torque), that pin will fail and the latch come undone. Or, the pin will become bent which jams the latch closed.

4. Rick says:

I was surprised that so many did not know of this.
    It’s used in all kinds of rigging, from construction, to marine, to aviation, to anything carried aloft.

But hey, learning…right.

I was kinda shocked myself.

• Rick says:

I should also say that mousing has been used in sailing for hundreds of years. Not only in slinging a load but in the standing rigging which keeps the masts, booms, boomkins, jury rigs, etc in place.

Today there are ‘pelican hooks’ which act in the same manner.

5. Kid says:

Well… I like when she pulls tightly and secures my load.

6. MadMarlin says:

And this is why I keep coming back to Knuckledraggin.com. I learn so much. From cuckold, to tossed salad, and now threading a mouse hook.

7. trib says:

Thanks, never knew what it was called. 1st time I started doing in (not like in the video), my dad told me to wrap them damn hooks off asshole. You want the fucking load to fall on you.

8. Oswald Bastable says:

Stops the hook slipping off before you take up the load and swinging into you, too. Don’t ask how I learnt that one…

9. Comrade Terry says:

Always mouse the shackle pin on your anchor. Unless you want to leave your anchor on the bottom.

Play nice.