Tax free weed is outselling the legal shit? No way…

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California’s marijuana industry is undergoing some severe growing pains — and it’s much bigger than just licensing permits.

Nearly two years after recreational marijuana became legal in California, the black market is still much bigger than legal sales of marijuana.

This entry was posted in California. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Tax free weed is outselling the legal shit? No way…

1. bogsidebunny says:

Gee, who would’a thunk? But since the politicians are still getting a health dose of “under-the-tablekick-backs” from the legal weedsters and maybe a few from the underground ones too, they’re going to ignore it and tax the middle class to make up for the shortfall.

2. bobdog says:

I don’t use the stuff, but it seems to me all legalized pot sales accomplishes is to make it impossible to be arrested for possession. That just makes black market sales even more attractive, not less so.

As for “competing” with the black market, I have to say these government drones who view pot sales as a revenue goldmine really don’t understand microeconomics. Do they really think anyone would PREFER to pay 35% more for the same product? If you could buy untaxed beer out of the back of a truck, would you still pay liquor store prices for it? Do you shop for the best gasoline price?

Microcephalic Idiots.

• tkdkerry says:

Indeed. Why, it’s almost as if Adam Smith’s “invisible hand” is actually at worj in the marketplace.

• arc says:

I don’t trust homebrews for the same reasons I don’t trust hot tamales from cars at Walmart, I have no idea what their setup / kitchen is and if they are selling from the back of a car, its probably not very clean/good. Though I am ignorant on beer brewing.

As for weed, if or when it goes legal in my state, I’ll just grow my own rather than pay anyone else to grow it for me.

• Sanders says:

I’ve never gotten sick from buying tamales from folks on the street. But I have gotten sick many times from eating in restaurants that are supposedly government inspected and “A” rated.

3. Elmo says:

“Our city license now is $20,000 a year,” Blurton said. “The state license is $96,000. Then we pay 8.75% sales tax to the state.”

Hence, the real reason our betters in government wanted to legalize marijuana. Not to mention, now you’ve got an army of new state and local regulators permanently employed to oversee compliance and vote Democrat in future elections.

They love it when a plan comes together, even when it’s a total snafu that they can then spend more taxpayer money on to straighten out.

• Elmo says:

I should have put straighten out in quotes, kinda like this-
      ‘straighten out’.

Silly me.

4. Fred Z says:

Up here in Canada the nephew of a person I know well has been a small scale weed dealer for years. The nephew tells me business slumped a bit after the legal stores opened, but is now as good as it used to be.

He says:
    -his customers think the legal stores photograph them and put the images in a Canadian government data base which is made available to the CIA
    -he delivers at 1 AM, or 4 AM or whatever, and the stores don’t deliver at all.
    -he doesn’t ask for ID
    -his product is stronger and fresher
    -his product is illegal and gives the potheads that whiff of being an outlaw, which was always part of the attraction.

• arc says:

Them be some good perks. On some products that are entirely legal, I would pay MORE for discretion, rather than a big flashy box with the manufactures name on it.

Good product for cash and no hassle, video, or records? Good business model, especially with discrete delivery.

• rob says:

So the legal stores ask for ID – but they’re worried they’re being photographed?

Dope makes you stupid.

5. Hillbilly says:

Out of state sales, nuff said.

6. FrankP says:

I was living in CA when medical marijuana was legalized. Anyone, and I do mean ANYONE, could get a authorized. Even then my belief was either pot should just be legal or not and that eventually the State would regulate the illegal growers back into business.

Gee, imagine my surprise at seeing this story.

7. Ragnar says:

20 plus years active duty.

2 deployments to the sand box.

Had a friend bleed out on me.

Looked like I got hit.

Presto Doctor.

I’m legal.

But only at night and I do not/will not drive under the influence.

It’s a plant.

Why is tobacco legal?

8. SgtBob says:

Legal dealers say “If only the legislature would lower the taxes.” Which state do you peddle marijuana in? Lower the taxes? HAHAHAHAHA!

9. WestcoastDeplorable says:

States and cities saw legalization as a substantial new revenue source and got greedy. Only way to fix blackmarket sales is to lower or eliminate those rates.

10. mjazzguitar says:

When we said legalize and tax it, they didn’t mean to death.

11. Scott Doe says:

NYC had the same problem with cigarettes, they said they were losing a billion dollars a year because of bootleg cigarettes or people just buying them outside the city (there’s a state AND city tax) So here’s how the liberal mind works—to make up for the lose, they decided to raise the city tax even higher.

12. Trib says:

The they really think you would throw your dealer under the table so you could buy govt. dope.