Well, shit.

I’ve tried to schedule 5 posts to make sure there’s no problem with scheduling and all 5 missed publication. I’ve already scheduled a full day’s worth of posts for tomorrow, but given what’s happened so far today with that, I’m pretty sure they’re going to miss their posting times also, which means the last post of today (this one) will probably be what you see first thing tomorrow if you’re an early riser or shift worker.

Here’s the deal: I go to bed about 10 and get up between 4 and 6 in the morning. If I have to, I will manually post whatever has missed their scheduled times then. I’ll continue to do that every hour or so for the rest of the day because I’m cool about that shit. It’s supposed to be cold as fuck anyways so it’s not like I’m going to be out and about, right?

I’ll probably end up doing the same thing the rest of the week seeing as this blog was already offline for a couple days this week and I’m gun shy about making any changes right now. Come Saturday, I’ll download one of the plug-ins for the Classic Editor that Andy and Bear sent me to see if that improves it, but if it doesn’t I may be down Sunday too. We’ll see how that rolls.

I’d work on it tonight except for the fact that I’ve either been on the phone with tech support or trying to figure out the posting on my new page editor since 7 this morning and to be honest with you, I’m fucking sick and tired of this blog at the moment, not to mention frustrated. I want to get everything straight, but when I get pissed at something I tend to fuck shit up even worse.

Thanks again for your understanding.

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Well, shit.

1. Bad_Brad says:

Relax, we’ll be here when you get it running again.

2. MartyB says:

Just happy you’re still amongst the living. That 404 screen freaked me out a bit, especially as often as I visit your blog. Keep on keeping on…

3. Tsquared says:

Isn’t a weather front supposed to be coming through RBS? Your going to be trapped inside anyway.

Just screwing with you. Thanks for all you do. Glad you are (somewhat) back up.

I’m not doing a damned thing outside tomorrow other than feeding and watering the chickens. Other than that, I’m inside for our first cold front.

• Elmo says:

5am Tuesday morning, according to Accuweather-
        Currently 20°, high today 30°, tonight 16°.
        WHOOO!

4. Flugelman says:

Not to worry Kenny. We’ve survived worse. Take a break…

5. taildragger says:

Don’t worry, the real fans here understand and can accept the occasional lapse in updates. Glad to see you’re back and have sorted things out.

6. joe says:

Yeah, when I get pissed I have to walk away. If I don’t everything and everyone around me will be screwed up and pissed. You got to take a break in there somewhere. We’re all just glad you didn’t get kidnapped and raped or something worse.

I’m not too bad nowadays but when I was a youngster I tore up more shit than I needed to because I was too pissed to be careful. That’s why I’m not too bad now, I’ve learned my lesson numerous times over.

7. Jeep says:

Get some rest! It’ll be better tomorrow!

8. WeAreKEN@!luis says:

We understand, we just miss ya stuff! (think I’ma gonna cry)

9. Charlie Hargrave says:

No worries Kenny. We appreciate all you do.

10. Susan says:

Hang in there. We can wait. Thanks for persevering.

You’ll get the same amount of posts, just not one every hour. Believe it or not, that’s how I used to blog when I first started but I was only doing a couple three posts a day, if that.

11. Lofty says:

All good mate thanks for your time and effort.

12. Rod says:

We appreciate it all – no worries and thank you.

13. chutes magoo says:

Tech support…..my ass! Those milky lickers are an scourge!

14. Bad Attitude says:

Thanks for all you do. Your site is a must visit every day.

15. crazyeighter says:

“Endeavor to persevere.”

• anonymous says:

Chief Dan George was awesome in that movie – he really cracked me up !

No problems Wirecutter, it will all come out in the wash.

16. Miles Long says:

Take a deep breath.. or five. Maybe if you go out back & fire one of those 100 clip magazines, or something. 8-D

17. OldNFO says:

Don’t sweat it, we’re not going anywhere…

18. Texas Den says:

Thanks for keeping us posted, so to speak, Kenny. We’ll wait on you ’cause we know you’re coming and we all appreciate the effort you put in to keep this thing running. Take a breather, get some rest, and try to stay warm. And Epstein didn’t kill himself.

19. JM says:

Hang in there

20. Angel says:

Did you save the book files?

21. Rick says:

When i saw that 404 i thought facebook reached out and slapped you on your own website for mocking them.
    Thanks for being there for us.

22. Larry says:

Welcome back. Missed you.

23. antzinpantz says:

Used to have a blog using WordPress and hosted on my own site.

That used to be a regular problem where I’d have posts that missed scheduling. There used to be a fix/add-on/script that could help. Every few minutes it would scan for posts that missed and then post them.

Not sure if that’s your issue or not.

I got to where I HATED updates for WordPress as almost every single one fucked up my blog in one way or another.

I wish you luck fixing this.

Uh-huh, it seems like every update opens up another can of worms somewhere else. I can do one for one of my plug-ins about commenting and all of a sudden I’ll stated getting emails wondering why folks are getting the desktop version on their phones.

• antzinpantz says:

Not to poop on your birthday cake but when I posted my comment I clicked on “notify me of new comments via email” and it didn’t.

24. geoffcsaltine says:

Forgot to tell you. Thanks for your help in keeping America safe. And your Pops too.
    All will be well in a few days.

25. Ed says:

Not having your post scheduling functional must suck terribly. We could probably set up a schedule and one of us can call you every two hours so you can keep up with the news. No more falling behind, and all that guilt… It wouldn’t be hard to set up (alphabetically?), and with the bunch of us here taking turns, it wouldn’t be much of a burden on any of us, so you needn’t worry. Just say the word, Bro, and we’ll pull together for you.

26. Heathen says:

What the others have said.
    It’s 2:45 am here. Time I lay down anyway.

27. Rick says:

Nothing new yet

28. kennymac says:

Ok everyone, enough of the sentimentality, there are costs involved. Send money.

29. Ohio Guy says:

Copy that Ken, Standing by.

30. Scott Doe says:

Does it have that “new blog smell” ?

31. waitingForTheStorm says:

Forty years in the software industry and I came to hate updates/upgrades/improvements. Good luck.

I still can’t figure it out. When I got up this morning there was an upgrade for the page editor so I did that thinking the fix is in there and still missed the scheduling on the next two posts.
      I’ll ride this out until Saturday, then I’ll call tech support one more time. I swear, I’m getting to know those folks so well we’ll probably be exchanging Christmas cards this year.

• waitingForTheStorm says:

I know how frustrating this can be. My ISP was bought out a year ago and they told me my web sites were so complicated they could not be moved. I had 7 days to find a new ISP, get my domains moved, move the mx records for three domains, change the DNS records, move the data, etc, etc, etc. It took a week of daily fucking around, sometimes for hours at a time, to get it all working correctly. To top it off, the ISP going out of business dropped their phone support and everything had to be done via support tickets with Indians, who all treated me like a neophyte who had no idea what a command prompt is. Argh.

When I retired, I thought I would miss the day to day struggle with running software that managed, literally, tens of thousands of servers. Well, I was wrong. I am so happy to be away from that shit I can’t see straight. Maybe it is just not having to deal with ignorant pinheads, but I would have to be starving to walk back into that crap.

Many years ago, I ran the software that managed our shop: it was big iron days. I went drinking with friends one night. I dragged my ass home about midnight and passed out in my clothes. Just after 2:00 am, the phone rang (which was never good). All of the machines were idle and 50 operational staff sitting around with their collective thumbs up their asses. Cold shower, quick change of clothes, and I walked into the control room at 3:00. I worked for about 32 hours straight, until lunchtime the following day. Everything was working at that point.

I went to my boss. I said I was going home to sleep. She looked at her wrist watch, looked up at me, and told me that “it isn’t 4:00 yet.” I looked her straight in the eye and said Fuck you, I am going home. She tried to get me fired for insubordination. The next week, I was transferred to another group in the same department. Yay for that,

Good luck. I am not a web guy. If I could offer any real assistance I would. I know how much work you do to maintain this blog and I would never do it at this point in my life. I do respect your level of effort because I know what it means, to some extent. Thanks for keeping so many folks entertained, and I mean that sincerely.

Sorry for making this such a rant, but I have been in a rant-acious mood lately…

I don’t understand code or software at all. If it wasn’t for templates, I wouldn’t be able to do this blog at all.
          Your story reminds me of when I was working at the ammo plant. We had a quota of 1.2 million cluster bomb units a month and we were a full day and a half behind on the last day of the month due to equipment failures, so we ended up working 23.5 hours that day to pull it in. When we were done, the boss told us to be back in 8 hours to begin the next month’s quota.
          Are you kidding? Some of my crew lived an hour away, so that meant they’d go home, shower and eat, then go to bed for 4 hours after working a 24 hour day, then come back in for another 12 hour shift. Me, I lived 5 minutes away, so it wasn’t as bad for me but I still wasn’t real happy about it.
          I was the only guy that showed up the next morning and half the crew of 20 people didn’t even bother to call in. I took advantage of it and did 4 hours worth of maintenance on my machine before I went home and collapsed in my bed again.

• waitingForTheStorm says:

That boss sounds like a pinhead to me. I guess we all would have stories like that; I have always been a worker bee and was the guy they called when shit seriously hit the fan.

I don’t understand why companies take a tool that works well and then revamp the interface and the functionality in a way that breaks it. I know that there are changing standards, but I normally want them to just leave the stuff alone.

The largest project I worked on was 6 to 8 developers over the course of 5 years. Literally, millions of lines of code. Some of that was custom-developed class templates, which can be incredibly complex. The hardest part is that a single problem can take weeks to code and you have to be able to walk out and then come back in the next day with no real cognitive break.

I have been lucky. I have worked in seismic exploration (infrastructure mostly), pipeline operations, production field operations, refinery operations, financial reporting, and systems management in electrical grid management, insurance, and health-care/hospitals.

Since I quit, I sleep better, I don’t suffer from migraines anymore, and my overall physical condition has improved. My life is better in every single way, except I don’t have as much money as I used to have. I count every day that I don’t have to go beyond my driveway as a good day. But, I don’t really computer anymore.

I understand about feeling better. Since I retired and moved out of California, I’ve gotten off my mood pills, BP meds, and I’ve pretty much quit drinking. What I can’t figure out is was it the job I was working at or the fact that I was in California that was causing all that stress?

• waitingForTheStorm says:

I would guess the job. I lived here for almost eight years before I retired. Besides the normal interpersonal bullshit, the job I held the last 5 of those years was one of the lowest stress jobs I have ever had; and, I worked from home the last three years of that so I only had to drive in once a month or so. And yet, I have a much better life for the last year. The job that brought me to TN was the worst job I had, almost three years of never ending shit that I hated.

So, in the end, for me the only real change was not working. YMMV, of course. After a couple of months, my wife turned to me one night and just said, out of the blue: I like you much better since you quit working. Huh.

32. crazyeighter says:

Tired, sleepy pissed-off people working in an ammo plant.

That’s what you want.

All we did was manufacture the cases and projectiles, no explosives. Our inspection process was so rigid that the chances of an out of spec part getting through was almost zero.
      But still, tired and pissed off people working around high speed heavy manufacturing equipment…..

• waitingForTheStorm says:

That comment is “daily winner of the internet” quality. I am still chuckling.

33. jack says:

Thanks for “working” so hard just for our entertainment. I always go to your blog first thing so I can view the Facebook pics and any videos you post before my RAM loads up etc. I do hope things get fixed before you get so mad that you want to give up.
    I also hope the weather doesn’t get so bad as to be a royal pain as far as taking care of the chickens etc. If I could I’d send you a little bit of my Arizona weather to temper out what you will be going through.
    jack

34. Inbredredneck says:

Glad to see you up and running again. My first thought was that “THEY” had come for you and the rest of us were on the list. Next thought was maybe you’d had enough and pulled the plug. Now I’m just happy to see you puttin’ up whatever you’re able to post. Do whatever you want at your own pace and we’ll all just be grateful for what we get.

Play nice.