I’m calling bullshit on the gun part

NASHVILLE (WSMV) – A new Vanderbilt University poll finds that Tennesseans on both sides of the aisle agree on a variety of issues; including the opioid crisis, improved background checks on gun purchases, and childcare.

Virtually everyone, Republican and Democrat, agreed that guns should not be easier to buy. An overwhelming majority, 86 percent, approved of background checks for gun show and private gun sales. The same supported bans for people with certain mental health issues, and 68 percent supported the creation of a universal database to track all gun purchases. At least 51 percent of Tennesseans believe that assault-style weapons should be banned.
FROM HERE

*****

I’ve been here for almost 4 years now and I’ve yet to talk to anybody at all that supports any of the gun control measures in the article and the county I live in is overwhelmingly Republican. City-data.com says that 83.9% of Lafayette voted for Trump in the last election.

This entry was posted in Gun Control, Liberals, MSM, Tennessee. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to I’m calling bullshit on the gun part

1. Dano says:

Says who?? How do we even know anyone was polled? Or, for that matter, any conservative? These polls are done only to create sheep. And, since it was done by a university, I call double bullshit. FUCK them.

2. whynot says:

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”
    attributed to Mark Twain

3. Gator says:

The polls are probably correct, but it’s important to take note of how, exactly, the question was phrased. If you simply ask ‘should you have to pass a background check to buy a gun’ or something similar, most people will say ‘yes’, hence the numbers given in most of these surveys. However, even in places where there was wide support for ‘universal background checks’ the laws are routinely voted down because once people see the details they no longer support them. Once people find out that if you let someone, even a family member, borrow a gun without first going to a FFL and completing a transfer and paying to do it, you are both committing a felony the support drops. People tend to support ‘back ground check for gun purchases’ until they learn what those laws mean, which is why there is so much opposition to them. Once the questions are phrased along the lines of ‘if I let my adult brother borrow my shotgun for an afternoon to go dove hunting without first going to a gun shop and running a background check and paying a 20$ fee, how much jail time should we both get?’ The support drops rapidly.

These laws often mandate waiting period as well. Also, let’s say I have family in town and I let my father in law drive my truck to the store because it’s the only one not blocked in on the driveway, but leave my gun in there because it’s always there – that’s also a felony on both of us. Things like that. As they say, the devil is in the details. This is one of those things where the media is essentially telling the truth while lying. Most people think you should have to get a background check to buy a gun on a survey, but don’t support these laws in the end once they learn what normal behaviors they would criminalize.

4. Dan says:

Modern “polls” are not intended to ascertain facts. They are commissioned, designed and conducted to expressly FORM opinion by the open promulgation of lies.

5. Tsgt Joe says:

Yeh, unless they took the poll on campus. Those numbers are real shady. “Gunshow and private sale background checks” I think most of our people know that FFL’s at gunshows must do background checks.

6. crazyeighter says:

This year, the Spineless RINO Tennessee Legislature will not pass anything more controversial than a budget.

7. Andy says:

The one thing that no one talks about when they say “universal back ground checks” or “enhanced back ground checks” is the simple fact that they are talking the law abiding. No one talks about the fucking criminals like they should be and calling them what they are. Nope, not going to do it when they can demonize the people that put their sorry asses in office. My point is simple, enforce what is already there instead of making more laws. Hell, I don’t have a college degree or have spent any time in office and I figured that shit out so why can’t these fucking lawyers that mooch off the citizenry while in office figure it out? Why? I’ll tell you why…your fucking college degree DOES NOT make you smarter than those that you lead. Got it skippy?

8. WestcoastDeplorable says:

As any pollster knows or researcher knows, you can make the data say whatever you want simply in the way the question is composed, as noted by some commenters. I think how the questions were asked should be included in the results of any such polls so you can see if the pollster was being honest (and the Dems aren’t….by a long stretch)!

9. Bear says:

The trick is to look at methodology and questions.

Methodology:

“For respondent selection for landline sample, interviews were conducted with the youngest adult 18+ male/female at home based on a random rotation.”

Automatically leans the responses away from conservative.

Questions:

15. Please tell me if you would favor or oppose the following proposals about gun policy. (First,) [INSERT ITEMS; RANDOMIZE]? What about [INSERT NEXT ITEM]? [IF NECESSARY: Would you favor or oppose (ITEM)?]

“The same supported bans for people with certain mental health issues”

Not what they asked:
    “a.Laws to prevent people with mental illness from purchasing guns”

Means nothing. Those ADJUDICATED mentally deficient are already prohibited.

“86 percent, approved of background checks for gun show and private gun sales.”

They did ask that, but:
    “b.Making private gun sales and sales at gun shows subject to background checks”

That implies that all gun show sales are exempt which they aren’t. And the younger voters they’re trying to poll often don’t know that. And these polls never mention the expense of checks.

“68 percent supported the creation of a universal database to track all gun purchases.”

The question is misleading:
    “d.Creating a database to track all gun sales”

Young folks will think it’s something like warranty registration. Explain to them it’s a permanent database tracking THEM and their property.

• The Rev. says:

As someone who specialized in “market research” I completely agree with this assessment.
      A good researcher provides all of the data behind the survey, not just “this is who we queried” and “this is what we were looking for”.
      By saying that they were SPECIFICALLY looking for 18+ living at home (and we know that people lie, oh how they lie) they were stacking the deck.
      This is BS in the first order..

10. Dave says:

You can’t believe anything the news or media say, pure propaganda.

11. NOG says:

Andy, I have a college degree and I disagree with you. They should NOT enforce the gun laws on the books. Simply because they violate the US Constitution. The gov has ignored the Constitution for decades or longer. Time does not make it right. While I was in college, my statistics prof use to call them “silly statistics”. He also had a favorite saying “Ask a mathematician, a scientist and a statistician what 2+2 is. The mathematician would say 4.0, the scientist would say 4 and the statistician would say what do you want it to be?” More fake news.

• Andy says:

Hi NOG. My college degree comment was not directed at everyone with a degree but those that think that because they have one, they feel they are smarter and therefore superior to those that don’t. You are correct with your decades of ignoring the Constitution statement. So the question now is, howbdo we deal with these idiots?

12. enn ess says:

Polls lie, always. For any poll reported for something one way or the other you have to first consider whom was asked while taking the poll. If you ask liberal democrats if background checks should be mandatory or guns should be harder to get, what do you think the response would be. …perzactly…. ask a bunch of good ole boy rednecks at the local range and you’ll get an entirely different answer.
    Polls only reflect the outcome it was designed to produce.

Our Con-steetoo-shun states that the citizens right to keep and bear arms shall NOT be infringed. NO where else in the same Con-stee-too-shun does it say any different or allow that right to be regulated ….PERIOD….. It’s plain Engrish! That is the only regulation eye’ll obey. End of story!

• crazyeighter says:

If you really want to spool ’em up, ask if it should be harder to register to vote than to buy a firearm.

13. Joe Blow says:

Roane county loves their ARs!

14. BrassG says:

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” – Robert Heinlein

By strict interpretation of the Constitution, (i.e., not interpreting it at all, but simply reading what it says very clearly in black and white), guns and ammunition should be available in vending machines on street corners.

15. somedude says:

I did my best to get on bunch of list, when they poll me and depending on my mood, I answer as communist, conservative, liberal, or RINO. just to fuck with the pollsters. bunch of rats.

16. Scott halloween says:

If Trump had the balls I wish he did, he would make conceal carry mandatory for every citizen (25+) of the USA.
    1000$ fine if you are caught not carrying.
    One hundred and fifty million libtards being fined 1000 bucks every single day until they broke down and carried is not money to be sneezed at.
    Six months of chaos and everything would be sorted out from there on in.
    The insane and violent would be dealt with, the drug dealers would be outgunned, the cops would show respect, and the government would cower.
    Road rage would disappear in to certain knowledge.
    Schools would be safe and the teachers who deserve respect would get it, the others would quit.
    We would become more polite than Canada.

Tell me I’m wrong.