New handgun permit option for Tennessee

OAK RIDGE, TN (WBIR) — Beginning Jan. 1, Tennessee gun owners will have a second option when applying for handgun permits.

The state currently has one type of handgun permit that allows users to carry a firearm open and concealed on their person. It requires a $100 fee and an 8-hour hands-on class, among other background check requirements.

That permit doesn’t change under the new law, however, it will be renamed an “enhanced handgun permit.”

But starting in 2020, a new, second option will be available.

This entry was posted in Guns, Tennessee. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to New handgun permit option for Tennessee

1. Nemo says:

So glad I live in a Constitutional carry state.

• Daryl says:

Likewise, if I want to carry I just stick a gun in my pocket. If I want to look like a cowboy today I open carry.

2. Berglander says:

Paying a fee and registering with the state to exercise the one thing that truly means a man is free. How silly.

3. Chuck Darney says:

In PA I can open carry without a permit but need a LTCF to carry concealed. I don’t open carry but being able to do so means if my shirt rises and exposes my pistol, I won’t be arrested or harassed for “brandishing” or some such.

• Carl says:

Unless you’re in Filthydelphia.
      There a LTCF is required for open carry, too, but it’s virtually guaranteed to get you put on the ground, disarmed, and your weapon taken from you, despite the LTCF. Chances are, your weapon will be destroyed before you can get it back.

• crazyeighter says:

I’m looking for this to be a new shenanigan in the more diverse, vibrant and progressive cities in Tennessee.

In the real Tennessee, it will be “get the fuck outta here with that shit.”

4. crazyeighter says:

“Concealed Carry Only” is another example of stupid Tennessee gun laws. Nobody asked for it, nobody wants it, but it DOES take up time in the legislature that should have been used to discuss Constitutional Carry.

Last session, there wasn’t even a CC bill filed, “Because the Governor won’t sign it.”

This election year, nothing more controversial than a budget will be passed.

• the other other Andrew says:

This is a move to eliminate open carry. See? You can still carry concealed…

And then they’ll switch to permits only if the local chief LEO says so.

This is a step backward from Constitutional Carry.

• crazyeighter says:

One of the takeaways that gets ignored from Heller and McDonald is that the state can regulate either open carry or concealed carry but cannot regulate both.

5. Bill says:

Isn’t it curious how folks that charge for this “course” are some of the loudest ones in favor of it, usually in the name of safety and training. I live in Georgia. Our license is for carry, whether open or concealed. It does not require a course, only that you pass the background check. However, I am of the firm opinion that an armed society is a polite society, therefore carrying a firearm should not require any licensing whatsoever.

6. WestcoastDeplorable says:

I live in California. To obtain a CCW permit, it costs about $1,800 in fees and “training” and even then you probably won’t get the permit unless you have an insider in your county’s Sheriff’s dept.

• Bad_Brad says:

What county is that? I live in El Dorado county. I just renewed. The fee was $85.00 to the county and the mandatory class was $125.00.

• Bert says:

So if your daughter or niece sleeps with the Sheriff will that expedite your application?

7. Brian P. says:

I’m less concerned about the confusion it may cause gun store staff and trainers than the very serious consequences of the potential confusion between licensees and lawenforcement. Or the very possible abuse that prosecutors could effect by throwing the book at folks who accidentally expose thier firearms like others have mentioned.

I’ve had my permit for about 3 years and open carry everywhere (including my bank) when it’s just T-shirt weather, countless cops have seen my firearm, and I’ve yet to have a single one ask to see my permit. It’s just not an issue here in Tennessee

8. Gator says:

Not sure exactly what this will mean, but in MS there’s an enhanced carry option. Anyone can carry in MS with no permit, which is nice. But I went and got an enhanced permit anyways. I have to travel to others states a lot for family and work reasons, and I don’t want to have to deal with any nonsense. Obviously, with the caveat that I shouldn’t need a permission slip to exercise my rights, when traveling to other states that aren’t Constitutional carry, the enhanced permit is nice to have. Also means that if I go in somewhere like a DMV or tax office, the ‘gun free zone’ signs don’t apply to me. Just inside a jail, police station, or courtroom that’s in session. Same with picking my kids up from school – no problem.

Also, with this enhanced carry permit here, no background check for firearms. As long as you have the valid enhanced permit, that’s considered your background check. So you just go in, fill out your form 4 and walk out without having to wait around for a call in.

That’s one thing about Constitutional Carry that people seem to forget – just because you can carry without a permit there doesn’t mean you can carry in any State that requires a permit.

• crazyeighter says:

All those years of carrying without a permit in CA, come to Tennessee and get a permit, and nobody wants to see it.

Does that piss you off at all?

I know, huh? I want to show that fucker off. “LOOK OFFICER, I’M A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN AND CAN EVEN PASS A BACKGROUND CHECK!!!”

9. Ohio Guy says:

We shouldn’t have to get “permits”. Permission from who,? Government? It’s just another list and your name is on that list. I’m sure all the criminals have their “permits”. Nooo! Mother may I permits for me! I never can understand how the countless droves of people still pay $60 for a CCW at a local church with shooting range. Their classes are full each month and have been for the past couple years. I just don’t get it.

Play nice.