OH SHIT, IT’S A BEAR!!!

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE)- Around 4 a.m. Sunday, Lieutenant Doty, with the University of Tennessee Police Department, notified Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency officers that there was bear making its way through campus.
-InbredRedneck

*****

I don’t know what it is about Tennesseans, but if they even get a rumor of a bear in the area, they go into full blown panic mode. It’s almost like they think the damned things are going to break into their houses and drag their kids off in the middle of the night.
I have to laugh because of all the years I spent wandering around the Sierras with its healthy black bear population, the only views I ever got of them was their backsides as they were hauling ass trying to get away from me.

This entry was posted in Tennessee. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to OH SHIT, IT’S A BEAR!!!

1. Tom says:

Got rolled by a bear in TN a number of years ago while camping. They are rather skitish and a smack to his curious snout was enough. They are rarely all that aggressive.

2. Elmo says:

“…the only views I ever got of them was their backsides as they were hauling ass trying to get away from me.”

Exactly right. One summer I worked above Foresthill, California. I documented 7 different bears in a 20 mile stretch of road. Each of the bears I saw was unique in size and color and all 7 of them couldn’t get away from me fast enough.

3. Exile1981 says:

The black bears up here in the northern rockies can get aggressive… but no where near as badly as a grizzly can.
    Bears are bad enough at work we have to take a class on avoiding the.

4. Ohio Guy says:

Ever see the griz maul scene in the movie The Revenant? It looks painful.

5. Bill says:

Black bear skittishness is a learned response to the white man’s gun. Black bears (mainly males) were known to hunt and kill people for food before being thoroughly indoctrinated into gun culture. I like it that way myself. As an anecdote, I had a bear move aggressively towards me in the North Georgia mountains during bow season one year. I still don’t know what stopped it because I was shaking hard enough to rattle my arrow on the bow. Now I carry a gun while bow hunting.

6. BOOSH says:

It’s NOT A BEAR, IT”S A DEAR!

7. oldawg says:

The biggest reason you’ve only seen their backsides de assing the AO is…..well……we’ve all seen your picture.

8. STW says:

My BIL told me about being stalked by a grizzly bear. He was in the mountains east of Yellowstone NP when he got a look at a grizzly which promptly dropped out of sight. Next time he saw it it had moved around down wind and was working its way closer. He bought a .450 Marlin the next week.

9. pigpen51 says:

I live in Michigan, and we used to feed black bears near a dump in the upper peninsula. We tossed them marshmallows. But the DNR closed that dump down and chased the bears out years ago, to keep them from being domesticated, and dangerous.
    To hunt black bears in Michigan, you have to bait them, usually with rotting salmon in a sealed drum, with holes inside. They are skittish here also, and I have only seen them while driving.

10. SgtBob says:

David Crockett must be shaking his head in confusion at what Tennesseans do these days. But he did say, “You can go to Hell. I’m going to Texas.”

11. Tim in AK says:

“I don’t know what it is about Tennesseans, but if they even get a rumor of a bear in the area, they go into full blown panic mode.”

That made me laugh.
    I didn’t know that was actually a thing with people from Tennessee, but did see it once upon a time.

In ’98 or ’99, I was living in and over seeing a logging camp in Southeast AK.
    There were bunkhouses of fallers and helicopter loggers, and a cookhouse where they ate.
    The cook was from Tennessee.

As happens occasionally, we had a black bear show up and start hanging around camp, with zero fear of humans. It showed itself to be aggressive too, meaning that sooner or later it was going to eat someone. I knew personally that it had zero fear, because I been within 3-6 feet of it a couple times, and saw the look in its eye.

It went into a busy truckshop in the middle of the day and ate the head mechanic’s candy stash, chased the camp bullcook when he was at the outdoor incinerator burning garbage, and other assorted run ins with people.
    The bullcook did get a shot off at it once but only inflicted a minor hind quarter wound, making it disappear for a couple weeks, before it showed back up and resumed being a pest.

One day the cook was alone in the cookhouse in the middle of the day, in the kitchen chopping vegetables on the counter that separated the kitchen from the dining area.
    The bear wandered casually into the dining area through the open door, and while looking the cook in the eye, came through the dining area and through the doorway into the kitchen, and towards the cook.
    It got within about 2 feet of the cook before he went over the counter top, into the dining are and out the door in a full blown panic.
    He went straight to the camp office yelling all the way, called a floatplane from Juneau, and flew out of camp and back to Tennessee. He was done with Alaska LOL

I eventually got rid of the bear, when it made the mistake of showing itself when I did have a gun.
    It was about 2 feet from the end of the barrel when I put it down.

12. Rayvet says:

North Georgia mountains here. Amicolola, Chattahoochee forests. I see bear on a weekly if not more basis. In over 20 years, never had one head in my direction, never had a canine patient mauled by one. So chickenshit here that we had a dog one time chase a mother and her two cubs. The mother knocked the cubs out of the way to climb the tree first. These ain’t your west coast bears that’s for sure.

13. grayman says:

When I spent time in the woods of anywhere in N.C. black bears will not bother you but leave the area. Now if you mess with cubs, mama will run you down or if you mess with one that is eating all bets are off.