7 Reasons Why You Should Not Get Chickens

Many people get chickens thinking they are cute, easy to look after and do not require a great deal of maintenance.

After all, how much upkeep can a chicken require?

If you are looking at getting chickens but are not 100% sure, then this article is for you.

We have compiled a list of all the reasons to not keep chickens. We don’t want to deter you from keeping these beautiful creatures, but for the best interests of you and the bird we are going to take a real world look at keeping chickens.

*****

I keep 4 hens and during the warm months I get about 24 eggs a week. I like fresh eggs, but I don’t eat eggs everyday, maybe once a week. Lisa doesn’t eat fried eggs at all anymore, so basically I’m keeping my friends and mother-in-law in eggs.
So why do I keep 4 hens? Damned if I know.

This entry was posted in Chickens, Tips and tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to 7 Reasons Why You Should Not Get Chickens

1. Fjord says:

Shelters?

Is that a euphemism for ” refrigerated meatcase” ?

2. Free Citizen says:

The 4 chickens that I have force me to get up in the morning instead of laying in bed. Tending to them may be inconvenient at times but that is the way it goes. We supply others with the eggs, except the ones that say that they won’t eat eggs except when they come from a grocery store. (seriously) I have all hens. To each their own I guess. The wife and I are Separatists for many reasons.

It’s gotten to be part of my daily routine as well as that asshole dog Jack’s. He knows when he hears me say “Let’s go check chickens” it’s time for his morning laps around the property.
      For the last couple years, my chickens were normal and quit laying in the winter. This year they didn’t get the word. They’ve slowed down to an egg apiece every 2-3 days, but they’re still laying. Not only that, but only one of them molted this year for some reason.

3. bobdog says:

Hey, I like chickens. It’s what’s for dinner.

4. My Neighbors have somewhere about 50 chickens. They sell eggs at the roadside. I think for the most part it is a retirement hobby more than anything else.

I agree about the idea of having ‘just a few chickens’ as not being the best idea. You need space, secure coops and they require attention not just at feeding time. We live in the country and occasionally a fox or some other creature will get one. We have seen eagles and hawks swoop down too. Now there is netting over the open areas.

For prepping, chickens are a necessity. As a means to save a few dollars at the grocery, not so much. There are better ways of making better use of your budget dollars.

With my dogs, I haven’t had any problems with predators trying to get into my coop, but I never let them free range – also because of the dogs.
      I’ve been keeping chickens for about 3 years now and I still haven’t recouped my initial investment of the laying hens and a coop through the savings of not buying eggs.
      If times do get hard, I’ll find a rooster to keep meat and eggs coming.

5. “Unfortunately, this rosy outlook puts a lot of chickens into shelters, on the streets or killed because they did not meet the owners’ expectations.”

The tragic causes and results of chicken prostitution. Already a major problem in Demonicrat controlled States.

6. Sanders says:

Chickens are food. Not friends. Put one in a shelter? Maybe if it is a deep freeze or a Mason jar for the old ones.

7. susan says:

hey WC…might Miss Lisa reconsider the egg thing?…the yolks are extremely good for the eyes…might be really good for her (unless there’s another med. condition that keeps her from eating them).

8. choclabs aka da cook says:

I loved keeping chix, had 3 rhode island reds. Hardly missed a day laying, kept my raised beds bug free. Then we got our new rescue dog and early morning day 3, I let the dogs out o’dark 30.

When I came out of the bathroom sun was rising and they had come down outta the coop.

Max found them, I lost all 3… I blame myself for that.

Had more but just became a pain when we travel, getting someone to look after everything including chics so no more. Kinda sad – they would run across the yard to greet me – so I miss them.

9. Paraclete says:

We started off with 4 chickens.
    They laid more eggs than we could eat.
    Didn’t like the idea of giving the eggs away
    for the fact if someone got sick that could be
    a bad experience for all concerned.
    Not to mention, the daily chores of fresh water
    and other care.
    Ended up giving them away, with all the feed
    and other supplies, to a young family with kids.

10. Spin Drift says:

Hey Kenny:

How many eggs can 7 chickens lay in 7 days if a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and half?

Spin