Another “Aw fuck” moment in time

This entry was posted in Aw Fuck. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Another “Aw fuck” moment in time

1. Milo Mindbender says:

Looks like someone did not call before they dug. Cable will be out for a few days, along with power and land lines

• Unforgiven says:

811 call before you dig is a free service and the call center operator will assist you in completing it. Please, if you are going to dig with anything other than a hand shovel, call 811, 3 days prior to performing the work, each and every time. A GPS coordinate from your phone and a radius is simplest.

2. snuffy says:

Obviously, he didn’t make that ONECALL.

3. AndyN says:

To be fair, I’ve called PA One Call and had utility companies tell me they have nothing in the ground where I’m going to dig. I had Verizon tell me three times over the course of a week that they didn’t have anything anywhere on a property, so I called them again when I was unloading the trencher from the trailer and told them they could send someone out immediately to mark their fiber or send someone out in an hour to replace it. They had someone there in 15 minutes.

4. SgtBob says:

So, Mr. Smith, what was the first indication that you had fuuuuuucked up?

5. daddy-o says:

Think again, The garden hose is the tell, looks like a while back someone buried a lot of junk they wanted to hide, I know, this happened to me.
    Garden hose wouldn’t be buried unless it is junk.
    I wasen’t drilling, just digging by shovel to put a block wall foundation in, cursed in 7 languages at the last owner of the land.
    Sawzalls, axes, even torch didn’t work, when you run into shit like this, the only fix is to dig it all out, so the guy with the drill got the job done quick.

• Fairplayjeepguy says:

It’s not garden hose, it’s what we call plow con, or duct liner. When it gets that deformed, stretched and smashed, it just looks like a smaller diameter than it actually is. We use it for telecom backhaul fiber, and it runs from handhole to handhole. If any public safety traffic is running over those fibers, then some poor dude is gonna get sued into bankruptcy unless the OneCall locate contractor totally boned his one and only job.

6. BadFrog says:

You may (and should) laugh but that has been screwing our cable services since before Christmas.

7. T.Rose says:

My dad cut fiber optic 5 foot from where they marked it laying a utility water line about 18 years ago. Took out a big chunk of NW Oklahoma communications for a couple of days.

My boy was helping set an electric sign up in southern Kansas this past summer and the utility locator for the city missed the location of the fiber optic when they set their auger down and in motion.

Utility locators insurance companies paid dearly on both of those mistakes.

8. B says:

Always take a photo of the markings BEFORE you start to dig/trench/auger.

Had one time many years ago on site with a backhoe where there were NO markings at alll in the area despite contacting the locate folks 3 days before….that contained a large telephone cable.

The site supervisors camera was worth about 30K that day. And that was back in the late 90’s.

Today, what with Cell phones, there is no excuse for not documenting the site before starting work.

9. Dumbplumber says:

Back in the 70’s I heard that a guy with a D8 Cat ripped up the telecom line that runs from Seattle to San Diego. He lost the Cat in about 15 minutes and was financially ruined in less than a day.

10. Sanders says:

Been there. Done that.

811 folks said everything was on the other side of the road. And it was. Apparently, we had drilled up an abandoned line.

But my buddy wasn’t that lucky. Well, he did have a valid 811 clearance while drilling up along I-19 between Phoenix and Flagstaff. The fiber optics went up the other side of the highway, but for some weird reason the line crossed back over and went up a short distance before crossing back to the other side. He took out everything between Phoenix and Flagstaff for a good 8 hours. They estimated the cost at $4 million/hr., and that was in the early ’90’s. But his valid Blue Stake ticket cleared him of all liability.