“But legalizing weed will make the crime rate drop!”

SANTA ANA, Calif. — A man stole $145,000 in cash from a marijuana money courier’s unmarked van at a Southern California gas station after the driver collected the proceeds from several dispensaries, authorities said Friday.

Because the U.S. government still outlaws marijuana, even in legal states like California, it is mostly an all-cash business because of federal banking laws.

*****

Don’t get me wrong, I think the shit should be legal, but I always shook my head when I’d hear how legalizing weed will make the crime rate go down because “now anybody can grow it!”
Yeah, those folks don’t understand human nature or criminals at all. Why should they go through the time and trouble to grow their own when they can just come over and rip you off when you’re getting ready to harvest those delicious buds you’ve been nursing and drooling over for the past few months?

This entry was posted in Forgot to categorize. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to “But legalizing weed will make the crime rate drop!”

1. Craig says:

In addition, the black market thrives because the States impose insane tax rates on the product. 25% + here in California.

2. brent says:

And also because most (all?) states that legalized it prohibit normal folks from growing your own plant or 2. The State MUST have its tribute or you will be stomped into submission.

3. Tim Benner says:

Here in Philly a vape pen tax is over 40%

4. Family Tradition says:

My wife bought six legal plants and nursed them on the back deck. She decided to fertilze with fish oil. It attracted every coon in miles.They completely destroyed every plant. lol.

5. screwauger says:

I’m legal to grow recreationally in Maine and I age 5 yrs in September/October with plants in my back yard. Friends have lost crops every year and one had to move or start shooting people.

6. Butch says:

Marijuana IS a gateway drug. It opens the gates to home invasion, robberies, killings, car theft, murder, loss of consortium, assault and battery, felony attack with spatula and manny more.

7. WestcoastDeplorable says:

The problem is the Federal “Schedule”. Cannabis is still Schedule 1, along with heroin and coke. Utter bullshit, but as long as it’s a schedule 1 dispensaries are barred from the Federal clearing system and can’t accept credit cards or anything but cash, which make them a huge target for criminals.
    And the cities and counties still have a stranglehold on the industry since the legislature gave them local yokels way too much power. Why are you going to buy it legally when you’re paying in effect an extra 40-50% for the privilege?

• crazyeighter says:

” Why are you going to buy it legally when you’re paying in effect an extra 40-50% for the privilege?”

For the same reason a lot of old-timers still won’t drink “Government Likker”.

8. Mad Jack says:

Grow your own pot – right. On the surface it sounds like a wonderful idea, but then you either get to thinking about it, or you actually try it in your own backyard, and you’ll find out it’s a whole lot easier to buy an ounce than it is to grow it. Quality, for one thing. For another, as many point out, your neighbors will hassle you and try to steal your crop. Just one or two plants – that’s all! So you have to implement security.

The only problem with buying pot (legal pot, that is) is the taxes. Country Joe down the street can, and is willing to, sell me an ounce a whole lot cheaper than I can buy it from the pot store, and the quality is just as good. So…

Anyway, having laws against growing your own in Ohio and a neighbor who couldn’t keep his yap shut about it is how my own blog got started.

I can hardly believe it’s been ten years.

People that have never grown weed think all you have to do is put some seeds in the ground and water them. They have no idea at all about what goes into growing quality bud.

9. Phssthpok says:

Cocaine is not schedule 1… it actually has medically proven uses (primarily for topical pain reduction as well as a bleed-stopper due to is vaso-constrictive properties). IIRC it is schedule 2: tightly controlled, but medically useful,

Also..not even taking inflation into consideration, here in WA the prices for ‘legal’ recreational weed (taxed at roughly 50% for the final sale) is STILL cheaper than what was available black market 30 years ago.

I remember the going rate where I was being about $10/gram back in my high school days (LATE 80’s). That’s roughly $20 in today’s worthless FRNs. Currently you can get the same amount for $7 if you don’t shop for the *highest* THC content.

WA screwed the pooch on home grown recreational though…. still not legal.

I can remember paying $1200 for a quarter pound of good Indica back in the late 80s, and it was only available 3-4 months out of the year. When I left California I could pick up up a QP of better weed for 400 bucks all day long, no matter what time of the year it was.

10. Phssthpok says: