Legalized theft

A Massachusetts woman has filed a class action lawsuit against the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Transportation Security Administration.

Rebecca Brown says she had taken about $82,000 in cash from her father’s Pennsylvania home and was bringing it to Massachusetts because the time had come for her to take charge of his finances. The money was confiscated before her flight from Pittsburgh.

This entry was posted in Fuck the feds. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Legalized theft

1. brent says:

Get a copy of the report then go visit the one that has wronged you.

2. mjazzguitar says:

A while back I read about a guy who had some rare coin they stopped minting- IIRC they had been recalled and were gold- and when he went to see if it was authentic the feds ripped him off, too.
    I think they were worth millions.

3. fjord says:

I was going to ask how the fuck do they know that she had that much cash, but I suppose going to the bank and trying to get a cashier’s check to travel with would probably alert the AUTHORITAH also, unless you did it in smaller increments.

I’ve heard of cops confiscating gift cards if there were more than a couple in the vehicle. Hell, I’ve probably got 3-4 in my truck now between Walmart, Tractor Supply and Lowe’s.

4. Elmo says:

I hate to say it but she was naïve to not realize this crap goes on all the time. And if it’s not the feds doing it it’s state police or Podunk sheriffs departments getting away with it. In most agencies money seized under civil asset forfeiture laws has become a line item of their budgets.

I hope she gets her dad’s money back but if she does it wont be easy. Or cheap. Or quick.

5. Annie says:

Civil asset forfeiture happens all the time. “Law enforcement” doesn’t have to prove that the asset was used in a crime to take it, but you have to prove it WASN’T to, maybe, get it back. Their error this time was the amount. They generally don’t take more than $20,000 or so, since it would cost you up to that much to hire a lawyer to fight the government to, maybe, get it back so people tend to not fight lower amounts. I hope these people keep this in the news as much as possible.

6. Tim Benner says:

Bitcoin next time

7. Sanders says:

One of the fastest ways to get pulled over in Tennessee is to have out-of-state plates and be driving west bound on I-40. You see, they don’t care about the drug mules going east bound. They want the buyer’s cash which is usually going west.

8. Mike says:

“Brown’s father had kept the money in a Tupperware container in his home. She was bringing it back to Massachusetts in a carry-on bag to open a joint bank account.”

Beyond stupid – that’s just daring the JBT’s to seize it and guess what: THEY DID seize it. FFS, she could have sent that cash in a small box by UPS/USPS.

• Richard Watson says:

Better yet, open the account in Penn. at a bank that also does business in Mass. Bring the deposit receipt and signature card to Papa.

9. pigpen51 says:

I am considering changing banks, from a credit union that now charges me 5$ for each of checking and savings per month, to a commercial bank that not only doesn’t charge me, but also gives me a free safety deposit box.
    I don’t have tons of money, but I was considering getting a cashiers check. Now, I think I will see if they will just transfer the money electronically. Even though it is only across town, having that much cash or a check in my car, just seems like a bad idea. An accident, where I am incapacitated and sent to a hospital, who knows where the money could end up.

10. Ohio Guy says:

Bank notes are printed with magnetic ink. If any money, wallet, whatever, goes thru a scanner, it can tell exactly how much $ there is. There may even be machines that can do this at some distance as well. Be careful with that cash!

11. WDS says:

Sounds like there’s “more” to the story than financial affairs.