More DIY lube: Make your own Ballistol

Ballistol has been popping up increasingly in stores, magazine articles, forums, and blog posts over the past few years- enough so that I thought I should check it out. I’m usually very skeptical of the CLP-of-the-month frenzy that preoccupies a lot of shooters, but Ballistol has been around since before the First World War. Products don’t usually survive that long unless they have something to recommend them, so decided to check it out.

If you go to the commercial Ballistol web page you can read this breathless history of the product:
-Doc

This entry was posted in Guns, Tips and tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to More DIY lube: Make your own Ballistol

1. Tsgt Joe says:

The link is to “casual shooter” if you scroll back to July 29’ 2017 you will find a recipe for “ed‘s red” another “do it yourself” clp. Does anyone know if Michael Edelman is still writing elsewhere?

2. crazyeighter says:

Also supposed to be good for leather goods.

It is rumored that during the First World War, a Corporal Adolf Schickelgruber (among others) use to take a couple of teaspoons for gastric problems.

3. Murkan Mike says:

Man oh man, fucking ballistol! I’ve lived in Germany for 43 years, and I am an avid shooter, hunter and all around general gun nut. Ballistol has a very good marketing campaign, but let me just say this……. if it is advertised that it is safe for human consumption, do you really want to put it on your guns? It also turns into a very hard polymer that is hard to remove after a few years. Here in Germany we say “Ballistol ist gut fuer was man nichts am waffe will.” or ” ballistol is good for everything you don’t want on your guns.”

4. wayne says:

Man, I was way off on what this article was about.

5. Firehand says:

Works quite well- diluted with water- for black powder and corrosive primer residue, but I wouldn’t want it for my sole cleaner/lube

6. singlestack says:

Here’s a link for Ed’s Red and some other good stuff.