“But they’re such magnificent creatures!”

A six-year-old girl was attacked by a 160-pound mountain lion as she was walking through a park and was rescued just in time when an adult that was nearby punched the cat in the ribs.
Elmo

*****

I get my caption for these from a news report from back in the late 1980s when California started talking about outlawing the hunting of lions. There was one news shot of some aging hippie woman standing on the streets of San Francisco uttering those exact words.
Keep in mind that her idea of wilderness was probably Golden Gate Park in the city of San Francisco.

First it was killing them, then they started pushing against running them with hounds. Within 5 years, mountain lions had lost their fear of humans and dogs and suddenly everybody was in a panic when they started showing up in the suburbs, and in one case right in downtown Turlock, a city of about 40,000 (give or take) at the time.

This entry was posted in Forgot to categorize. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to “But they’re such magnificent creatures!”

1. Elmo says:

The quote I heard was “They’re such beautiful creatures”. I heard it as I walked out of the K Mart in Grass Valley, California when the petitions were going around in 1990. As I walked past the table that the petition gatherers had set up one of them (they were both women) said to me
    Her – “Would you like to sign our petition?”
    Me – “What’s it for?”
    Her – “To outlaw the hunting of Mountain Lions.”
    Me – “No, thank you.”
    As I continued walking away another woman rushed up and said “I’ll sign it. They’re such beautiful creatures!”

I think that’s when I finally realized California was doomed.
    BTW, it wouldn’t surprise me to hear about a lion sighting in Golden Gate Park before long.

2. Ohio Guy says:

Awe shucks, just let them feed the kitties.

3. Hillbilly says:

In the twenty years I’ve lived in northern Shasta county, I know of about eight medium to large dogs that have been ” Disappeared” by lions. Two Airedales in one night. Ankle bitters taken on the leash! That lady has a CC, couldn’t pull her gun fast enough, fanny pack My dogs will chase bears away but you can tell when a lion is around, they stay on the porch and growl. My Rottweiler has managed two years while having the run of our property. If I lost Titus to a lion… A vendetta would occur.

4. POd American says:

I have no problem with these cats attacking and eating people, just as long as the right people get eaten!

5. Sabre22 says:

The voters in California made the choice to ban hunting so now they have to live with their choice. as far as I am concerned I would not care if the last libtard in California got eaten by the Mountain Lions. The dumbasses are getting what they deserve

• fjord says:

NJ has the same problems.
      Blac bear. Coyotes.

Ban hunting. Then They beg people to come hunt there. Even giving free cookbooks away with license purchase. ( eyeroll)

Maybe if it weren’t a commie – no guns for anyone – but badge monkeys* state, out of staters would help you out there.

*saw someone here use this. Excellent description.

6. BlueMntCeltic says:

A few years back, we had a cougar up in a tree in the middle of town not 4/5 ths of a mile as the crow flies from our home. My city is 40,000+ and is 60 miles from the nearest mountains here in WA. He wasn’t the first one in the last decade, neither, just the latest one. They’re moving in on Portland and the Willamette valley. Two years ago they had their first fatality in Oregon in a while. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPFhYuC6aoY

7. the other other Andrew says:

Was watching tv right before Hurricane Andrew cleaned Miami’s sewers real good. They interviewed one hippie freak and asked if he was worried about the storm that was about to hit.

His response? “Mother Nature’s very kind.”

No. No she isn’t. She’s a stone-cold murdering bitch who will shiv you while you’re sitting on the crapper, let alone be nice to you when she’s roaring down all Cat 5 crazy like.

8. Onehalfmvsquared says:

I met a guy last year who lives in Edmonton, Alberta. He gets a frantic call one morning from a neighbor – a mountain lion was stalking his kids at the bus stop! He runs out with his rifle while the neighbor called the cops. The kids were terrified and trapped, they couldn’t move left or right, the lion was on a small ledge just above and tracked them. The lion looked like it was about to attack so he shot and killed it.

He got his rifle taken by the cops, arrested and charged with a wildlife crime and for shooting within the city limits. Lost his job too, apparently his employer wasn’t pleased with the arrest.

They eventually declined to prosecute but he never got his rifle back and I believe he is banned from owning another. He has applied to move himself and family to Wyoming.

The Marxists are not limited to Kalifornya.

9. Mike_C says:

They ARE magnificent creatures, but that doesn’t mean we should be living with them.

As to: “Within 5 years, [they] had lost their fear of [cops] and dogs and suddenly everybody was in a panic when they started showing up in the suburbs”
    Waal, thet sounds awful familiar, but I’m sure I caint think of what eggzactly whut. Now pardon me while I move out to rural Whitopia. Not that I’m racist or anything. Just want the kids to have a big backyard to play in. I love MLK. And that Snoop Dogg person. I really do love them.

10. Large Marge says:

A gal near the California coast resort of Santa Cruz chased a cougar out of her carport with a broom.
    I would be comfortable chasing a cougar with a shotgun.

About six years ago in rural Douglas County Oregon, a sixteen-year old farm-girl left the kitchen after breakfast.
    On her walk to the tractor in the field, she was approached by a cougar.
    She pulled her FN 5.7, and as the family rehearsed, emptied the twenty-round magazine into its face and near leg.
    Then swapped magazines and cleared the area as her family sped to her on ATVs.
    In that part of the world, LawEnforcementOfficials are hours away.

I don’t much care for cougar. Or jaguar. Or tigers. Or pythons or anaconda.
    Because the meat is usually full of worms.

11. Brad says:

Not seeing the problem here. Wild animals have a right to exist. In fact, killing them all leads to all sorts of problems.

Larger predators can see small humans as prey. Likely the kids were walking by themselves, away from the adults. The cat saw them as easy prey, just like it would small deer separated from the herd. That’s nature, that’s life.

The girl got a scare and a couple of scratches. She’ll live, and her parents will be more careful in wildlife areas in the future.

• Elmo says:

Mountain Lions existed when there was a legal hunt in California. Back then they existed where they belonged, in the boonies. Now they’re everywhere, including where they don’t belong. They have repopulated beyond the land’s ‘carrying capacity’, so now they look for meals where they wouldn’t normally. And being territorial, in many cases they have difficulty maintaining a healthy body condition. When Fish and Game has to put down a problem cat, 90% of the time the cat looks like it was borderline starving before it was euthanized.
      Ending a limited and regulated hunt didn’t do either the cats or the people who have to live with them any favors. But unfortunately, most people today consider hunting to be a dirty word. It’s not. It’s proper management.

12. Antibubba says:

You know how you attract lions? Feed the deer.

Everyone in the neighborhood will feed them, tossing out old apples or whatnot. Deer go where the easy food is. So do lions, bears, and coyotes.

• Elmo says:

There’s no need to worry about feeding the deer when you already have lions in the neighborhood.
      Ask me how I know.