Prepping your cast iron frying pan

-Jason

This entry was posted in Tips and tricks, Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Prepping your cast iron frying pan

1. Eod1sg Ret says:

I have a 12 quart Dutch oven over thirty years old that I make pork butts or shoulders into pulled pork with. I use charcoal and drink a lot of beer during the process. Don’t do it as often as I did when I was in the service, as the boys are grown and just don’t have as many friends around. Still a good excuse to drink beer and talk shit about a properly seasoned cast iron pot.

2. joe says:

We have my grandparents cast iron pans. We’ve been using them for 32 years. Best way to cook ever.

• J-West says:

I cooked with cast iron pans for over 30 years … then I moved to carbon steel pans from France. They are much better. They heat up quicker more evenly. They are easy to clean … warm water and steel wool or .bronze wool. seems more like it.

I kept one cast iron pan for posterity, but don’t use it much.

The carbon steel pans are from du Buyer, France .. check it out.. you may be surprised.

3. Joe says:

I love that old cowboy. We buy from his website. It’s a great day above the grass.

4. Justim says:

I cannot get the video to run…. Using android phone… Still several problems on this site…. Maybe just me though…

Click on the youtube icon and see if it works there.

• Justim says:

Youtube icon would not work. Held down on the picture to get the url, opened it in another window. Probably my phone. I still am missing 50% or so of the “next” arrows, but the “previous” ones are always there….. Thanks

5. AR Park says:

Mr. Rollins taught me how to make killer hash browns, an it’s bacon time this week. He’s a decent cook.

6. Sanders says:

His green chile chicken enchiladas recipe is on my short list, right now. Hopefully, within the next week or so.

• AR Park says:

They were plenty tasty when we made them a couple weeks back. Better than the ones I’ve had at restaurants.

7. Frankie says:

Well done,Cowboy! How much research I did on this subject to get it right,this is the ONE. Flaxseed oil,exactly and elbow grease!

8. Alan says:

His enchiladas are *excellent*. Pls try them sooner than later.

9. Alan says:

Heresy here, I know. I think a lot of this talk about ‘seasoning’ is just that, talk. A specific oil, temperature, process, upside down, chanting by the light of the moon. A good example – I had one of the $4.99 10.24″ giveaway pans from the Lodge Outlet store. Sanded it down carefully with the Dewalt, a sanding pad and 220 sandpaper. Didn’t get every pore and speckle gone but it was 90% plus shiny.
    Cleaned it out and started cooking with it. Hashbrowns, cornbread, bacon, etc.
    Couple months of that, it has what feels like a hard plastic finish and it cooks fine.

• Rob says:

If you cook with cast iron all the time it will get seasoned and stay that way, no special effort.

10. Rick T says:

I prepped our new Lodge pans with my carbide sharpening stone, coarse side down. Flooded the pan with water and ground around until the surface was smooth to the finger. A good wash down with soap then reseasoned. We mostly use sesame oil for recoating the pan.

11. Tim in AK says:

I bought a Lodge pan once and hated it. Hated that rough pebbled finish.
    Threw it away, and went to an antique store and bought three very old, smooth pans and never looked back. Use at least one of them every single day.

12. Jackson Duvalier says:

I’ve done this to Lodge castings before, never had any problems but it’s good to see confirmation it’s a Professionally Approved Method.

We got a newfangled skillet for Christmas from Smithey Ironware. There is a whiff of that precious artisanal/handcrafted pretension in their marketing and packaging, but the iron is gorgeous and very functional cookware. Not inexpensive, but made here. More ergonomic but in an archaic way, like a custom Bowie knife.

13. Ohio Guy says:

Years ago, I bought a big ol cast iron skillet and pot. They ‘re down in the basement and have never been used. I think that’s about to change. Good info WC. Thank you.

14. Highlander (no More..) says:

Old timer mountain boys taught that you cook bacon in a green cast iron, first on the cook stove top and then in the oven. Been doing that for for more then thirty years and its 100 times better then using any kind of vegetable or nut oil. We cook in bacon grease almost exclusively. I have several skillets and a dutch oven over 100 years old and look like new.

• Sanders says:

I cook in a cast iron skillet that belonged to my great-grandma, then my grandma, then me. That thing is at least 100 yrs old. It is slicker than any teflon-coated skillet I’ve ever had.

15. H says:

Four words: Southern Cast Iron magazine. Mrs. took out a subscription. Worth it. The stuff they publish will make you want to lick the pages. Guaranteed to bump you up ten pounds. You have been warned.

• joe says:

Thanks for the link. Just got the electronic subscription. Licking my laptop screen..

16. Gregg says:

Whole lot lass work to just not buy Lodge iron ware. Go to Estate sales for older well used cast iron.

17. KathyA says:

This may be considered cheating but after every use of a very old cast iron skillet I have, I rinse the skillet, dry on hot stove eye, and after it is dry but still very hot, I put just a small squirt of Pam in the middle and wipe around. Keeps it shiny and stick free.

18. Grandpa says:

Season iron with bacon grease. Use the pan every day. Rinse with warm water and a dishrag, use “chain mail” to clean the pan IF something ever sticks. That’s all. And, apologies to J.West, but I don’t see carbon steel pans from France as being any better than ol’ “Revere Ware”. First, they aren’t iron, second… well, France.

19. Annie says:

Thanks. I’ve been waiting for the pebbling to wear off my “new” skillet for a couple years now. I know I have a sander around here somewhere…

Play nice.