She wants to go 10 days without fluids…..

A nutritionist who claims to not have consumed any water for a year has sparked controversy online by suggesting that her long-term dry fast has greatly improved her health and well-being.

35-year-old Sophie Partik used to suffer aching joints, puffy eyes, food allergies, bad skin and digestive issues, but claims that all these problems went away when she started dry-fasting. She doesn’t touch any liquids for 13-14 hours a day, and when she does it’s only living water, like the juice of fruits and vegetables. The most she has gone without any liquids was 52 hours, but she dreams of the day when she will be able to dry fast for 10 days. Sophie hasn’t drunk bottled or faucet water in a year, and claims that the need for water is only in our heads.

*****

On the other hand, other than my coffee in the morning, I drink nothing but water, anywhere from 8 to 10 bottles a day.
I don’t drink sodas at all, it’s been a couple of years since I had a beer, and I’ll drink iced tea maybe once a month if we go out for dinner, and I’ve never felt better.
Was it a conscience decision on my part? No, I just lost my taste for everything else – except for beer. I love beer, but over the years my hangovers have gotten worse and worse to the point that even a couple gives me a pounding headache and an upset stomach to the point that it’s just not worth it to me any more.

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to She wants to go 10 days without fluids…..

1. Elmo says:

Ever been around someone who suffered from a case of severe dehydration? It’s not very pretty.
    Suffering is the right word to use.

2. Joe Blow says:

Corn Squeezin’s for you Wirecutter.

3. Tim in AK says:

She’s a fucking idiot.
    She gets good results from her dry fasting, but only by mistake.
    It’s the no food part of her fast, more specifically the shutting off her carb intake, that it is improving all her symptoms.
    Taking in no fluids is damaging her body and her health.

• fjord says:

Yup, sugar causes inflammation. as do excess carbs,which most of us consume (see founder in horses).

Unless sugar is being used for it’s antibacterial properties, like in wound cleaning.

We always used to coat a prolapsed uterus with a 5 lb bag of sugar before shoving it back in to keep the cow from getting infected.

• Tim in AK says:

I remember reading the James Herriot books a long time ago, and he talked about using the sugar trick on prolapsed cow uterus’.

4. ed357 says:

Achy joints……

Tart Cherry Juice.

5. Daryl says:

About the beer and the hangovers: You don’t have to drink to the point of intoxication. I don’t drink much alcohol anymore but when I do it is usually only one beer, maybe two a day. And then only once a week or longer. Other times I pour me out a couple shots of sipping whisky and set back and enjoy. I gave up the gotta get drunk part a long time ago.

Yeah well, while I don’t drink often, I can’t quit after a couple – which is another reason I rarely drink anymore. When I do, it’s right before my bedtime.

6. Paul B says:

As to the beer issue I have that problem with hoppy beers. Or at least I think it is hoppyness. Budwieser was the worst with some IPA’s also in the mix. If I drink bud I can get a hangover before the can is done.

Blue Moon Pale Wheat is about the only beer I drink anymore. And a 12 pack of that will last me a month or more so not much at that.

YMMV

7. bogsidebunny says:

Chances are she’s not mentioning her daily Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey colonic irrigations.

8. WestcoastDeplorable says:

I stopped drinking soda a long time ago. When I watch overweight people drink “diet” soda it makes me laugh because the high fructose corn syrup they use is one of the very worst things to ingest if you’re trying to lose weight. But I’ve stopped saying that because they’ll argue up & down about it, totally brainwashed.
    Drinking water is about the best thing you can do for your body. And tap water is much better than bottled water in most cases. Unless you live in Flint, MI or have a well near a former plutonium plant!

Or if there’s a lot of lime in it like around here.

• Sanders says:

My tap water is like cement water, there is so much lime in it. Sometimes, it is even carbonated – even out of my reverse osmosis unit.

I’ll even have to run a bottle of muriatic acid down the drains now and then, just to melt the lime out of the pipes.

9. millerized says:

Quit drinking wheat beer. Barley malt, even rice beers, but get away from the wheat. Especially american wheat. European wheat, not so bad. (they don’t spray the shit out of it with pestisides) Also, some brewers uses corn sugar for everything from final fermentation to added sweetness after the yeast is killed. If you have a wheat or corn allergy, just switching your beer might help. Or, do what I do…brew your own.

10. Nemo says:

…or a lot of iron in the water like around where I live. The tap water here is just awful. I use a filter pitcher that produces very low mineral content water that tastes like water from the well at camp. I drain the pitcher everyday. It holds 64 ounces. Discounting the initial cost of the pitcher, the filter cost works out to a couple cents per 12 ounces. Even adding in the cost of the pitcher results in savings of about one fourth that of bottled water and you’re not feeding the beast that most bottled water companies are owned by. Not to mention that you’re not adding to the un-recyclable plastic waste stream on a daily basis and no, I’m not an environmental nut. I just choose to not use bottled water because I have other things I’d rather spend my money on, especially when there’s a better, less expensive alternative.

A Brita filter?

• Nemo says:

Zero Water. Brita’s didn’t remove the minerals from my water, just the chlorine. The filtered water through a Brita still didn’t taste very good. I can attest the Zero Water work as advertised. I used a Brita for +/- 20 years. My sons would complain about the water from the pitcher when they visited. Theirs was from a well at the time. I didn’t understand what they were talking about until I drank the well water at camp after not having been to camp for a long time.

Warning: the Zero water filters are $16.00/each @ Wally world (I just purchased a box of two last week, so that price is good) which is cheaper than Amazon, not including shipping. Average that cost over the three to six months or so before one needs to be replaced at 8-10 bottles per day cost of bottled water.

You’ll know when replacement is required because the water will suddenly start to taste bad again AND the pitcher comes with a test device.

Thank you. I used a Brita filter in California and thought it was a waste of money.

• Aggie says:

Nowadays you can get a reverse osmosis unit for under the sink that will crank out 75 gallons a day, even with an alkalinity module that puts trace minerals you need back in. It’s better than bottled water (which is usually just filtered) and (comparing cost) will pay out in about 6 months or so. Amazon has’em for less than $200. Tastes a whole lot better than bottled too.

• Nemo says:

Correction to the filter price: $61.00 for a two pack. Don’t know what I was thinking when I typed $16.00.

11. skipperdaddy says:

I only drink beer when I am alone or with somebody.

12. H1 says:

The ONE thing the military learned was there is no such thing as water conditioning.
    You can instill water discipline but not deprivation.
    It only reduces combat effectiveness.
    When liquid is withheld eventually the bod starts breaking down tissue for water.

• grayman says:

H1 you are right about that. The only reason she is alive is because of the fruit and veggie drinks. But man if she were to go outside and a 5 MPH came along they might find her a few miles down the road, that girl is a bag of bones and skin!!

13. H1 says:

I used to enjoy boilermakers.
    Shot of rye and a beer.
    Have found that combo now raises hell with allergies and sleep.
    Small glass of rye and gtg.
    Even sleep better with it.
    The rum and diet cokes also make for a restless night so stay away from them also unless camping or sitting on the beach.
    Never knew I liked rye till I tried Whistle Pig, a local distillery.
    Canadians and bourbons were nice but never a treat.

Play nice.