Top 10 Chicken Breeds That Lay The Largest Eggs

Believe it or not, chicken eggs are quite scientifically classified… and most people will be surprised to know that it’s not so much size that denotes the classifications of Pee-wee through Jumbo, but weight. Weight, that is, pretty much down to the ounce. Six ounces sets apart small from large, and large from jumbo. Precise weight measuring is how grocery stores determine which eggs go in which cartons and get charged what prices. This chart, as documented by the Egg Safety Center, shows different size and classifications of chicken eggs.

This entry was posted in Chickens. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Top 10 Chicken Breeds That Lay The Largest Eggs

1. John Eperjesi says:

I’ve noticed at my local supermarket (Giant) that “large” eggs must be matter of interpretation. What used to be sold as medium eggs are now large and extra large used to be large. If you look at a different brand, like the one that’s on TV all the time, “Eggsland Best, you’ll notice their large is quite a bit bigger than the Giant brand of large.

2. Sanders says:

I’ve found that my chickens lay bigger eggs when they are stuck in the coop. When it snows, they won’t leave their house, so they are only eating the crumbles/laying mash and lay bigger eggs. When they are out roaming the property, their eggs get smaller.

3. Nemo says:

What that egg size chart at the jump doesn’t communicate is that the weight listed is per dozen. So a size large egg actually weighs around 2 ounces. As you can see from the chart, the weight difference between each size is three ounces per dozen or a quarter ounce per egg.

4. )@luis says:

Which breed lays KFC eggs?

5. Bright Eyes says:

I sure liked my Buff Orpington. Great bird, real mellow.

6. Thompson says:

Once bought a carton of 18 eggs. Cracked two into a pan and they were both double yolks…. two, that’s pretty rare. Over the next few days, turns out ALL 18 were doubles. What are the odds? I wrote the company and was told the doubles are set aside and employees normally take them home.or they are destroyed – the carton was inadvertently included in the shipment.

Here I thought I should run out and buy lottery tickets .

Oh, well. Back to work .

My wife cracked an egg from one of our birds that had another small egg inside of it. The shell was soft on the inner one but it was an egg. I’d heard of that before but never seen it.

Play nice.