EARN IT Act threatens end-to-end encryption

While we’re all distracted by stockpiling latex gloves and toilet paper, there’s a bill tiptoeing through the US Congress that could inflict the backdoor virus that law enforcement agencies have been trying to inflict on encryption for years.

At least, that’s the interpretation of digital rights advocates who say that the proposed EARN IT Act could harm free speech and data security.
Anon

This entry was posted in Fuck the feds. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to EARN IT Act threatens end-to-end encryption

1. Ragnar says:

This is an admission by the feckin gubbment that they are spying on us when they can and want the encryption removed so they can spy on us all the time.

2. Trib says:

that McCain butt boy Graham is writing this piece of congressional shit. The biggest deep state worshipper there is in DC.

• Butch says:

There’s a good chance Graham is either involved or knows plenty about child sex abuse.

• Dan says:

The response to Lindsey Graham should have been “OK Commissar….just as soon as we amend the Constitution to give you that authority.”

3. bobdog says:

I have two questions:

1. Can the FBI, the CIA and NSA be trusted to color within the lines? Recent events cast serious doubts about that. And I trust state and local law enforcement even less than that. Any way you cut it, their recent record is not at all encouraging.

2. If backdoors are permitted to law enforcement and national security officials, how long does anyone who knows a damned thing about this subject think it will take to be leaked to the creeps in the hacker community? How do they have the gall to reassure us it won’t be misused?

4. arc says:

Encryption falls under the 1st and 4th amendments. Since the source code can be published in a book, its protected, and we the people have the right to be secure in our homes, persons, papers, and effects, that includes the newest castle, our computers!

I won’t be giving up my PGP any time soon, nor my Veracrypt. I need to hurry up and canonize a fictional language that includes its own dictionary, so it doubles for encoding.

5. NITZAKHON says:

Ken – did you see this little thing?

OOH, in a clinical setting, I can see it being useful. OTOH, in “every day” life? F*CK NO to the SHOOT THE BASTARDS FIRST power.

What really worries me are the “isn’t this just sooooo cool” comments – no sense of privacy or worries about the potential misuse of this technology.

6. Andy_TLC says:

Encryption is a joke and the joke is on us. They can break it anytime they want. There was a recent article about how they can now crack encryption with an ungodly number of characters. If you don’t know, the longer the string, the harder it is supposed to be to crack. Long story short – this is evidently no longer much of a barrier. So why bother? I’ll tell you why – because when you encrypt the controllers have to use resources and manpower to decrypt. It may be just one extra step but I’ll make them take it as often as I can. Here is a article I wrote a few months ago concerning encrypted email. https://thelibertycoalition.org/blog/2019/11/13/simple-security-four-reasons-to-use-secure-email/

7. Ohio Guy says:

I hear that using an older, obscure OS can easily solve this dilemma. Just sayin’.