I’ve been a cop for nearly 40 years. For the last 20 of them, I’ve had the good fortune of being granted the platform, first at National Review Online, later at City Journal, Ricochet, and here at PJ Media, to write on behalf of my fellow police officers when their actions came under what I considered to be unfair criticism. Police work has grown more difficult since I began, all the more so when cops’ split-second decisions are scrutinized by an uninformed public after having been mischaracterized in the media, sometimes deliberately.

So it saddens me to observe some of the asininity on display among some of my fellow police officers in recent days as fear of the coronavirus pandemic brings the country to its knees. Reason and common sense have in some places been abandoned in favor of a level of social control rarely seen in any country that calls itself free, much less in the United States of America. Here in Southern California, we have seen police officers ticketing a surfer on an otherwise empty beach, citing people for sitting in parked cars while watching a sunset, and, in what may be the most farcical display of them all, using not just one but two boats to corral and arrest a lone paddleboarder off the coast of Malibu.
-Steven

This entry was posted in California, Forgot to categorize, To Protect and Serve. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Crackdowns on Lone Surfers and Paddleboarders Threaten to Erode Respect for Law Enforcement Even Further

1. Dirty Dingus McGee says:

99% of cops give the rest a bad name.

2. Phil B says:

Give an official, especially one in uniform, the slightest bit of authority and they will always, always abuse it. Every. Single. Time. Without. Fail.

This demonstrates this principle in spades.

3. bogsidebunny says:

Let the rodeo begin!

4. John h says:

10 yrs was enuff for me. I couldnt stop it or control it so i graciously bowed out w/out fanfare. Glad i did. It was an honor and privilege to help those that i did and protect those that needed it but the problems run deepin a small dept. i’d do it again if i could. It was interesting and challenging work. The best part was the judicious use of the power of discretion. Thats what gets so many in trouble because they think a law is the “law” and must be enforced. Thats just not always true.
    John h

• Steve says:

I agree with you, however having a lifelong friend who’s a cop and having listened to a boatload of his stories over the last 25 + years that he’s been a cop, I would like to add something to what you said and it involves the word “discretion”. Body cams have become mandatory now and while most people believe this is a good thing, they do have their drawbacks and one of those drawbacks is the officers use of discretion. I’ll give you a quick example; one of the Millennial’s on his job who got hired several years ago just got promoted to supervisor. Said Millennial is typical of his generation – rule are rules, I don’t care if you are senior to me in terms of experience, you’re a dinosaur, so I know more than you etc. – my buddy told me the guy absolutely bristles whenever anyone criticizes him for any reason. Having said that, the Millennial is now in charge of reviewing the body cam footage for the department and ever since he started doing so, he’s been writing guys up and taking time from them on the grounds that they used their “discretion” improperly.
      That’s right, this guy wrote my buddy up and ended up taking three days time from him on the grounds that he should have ticketed a mother who was going a little fast and had two kids in the car, instead of letting her go with a warning. With kids like this in a position of authority looking over everyone’s shoulder, an individuals “discretion” is now gone. And since this kid is well liked by a number of people on the town board, he’s not going anywhere, so what’s the average cop to do?
      My buddy wanted to stay for another year, until his youngest finished high school, now he’s mulling over pulling the plug early. I don’t envy him. He’s told me that he can see the difference between recruits when he first came on and those that are coming out of the academy now. The kids coming out of the academy now do only what they’re told and have very little in the way of independent thought and that’s a major problem.

• John h says:

Didnt have that issue. I quit 9-10 yrs ago but thats exactly what i meant about small depts w/ no oversite by dinosaurs! Hahahaha.
        John h

5. joe says:

This is how you create cop haters out of ordinary law abiding citizens and I am including the 6 yr old child

6. censusdesignatedplace says:

So…I can’t be outside alone or with somebody? Perfect sense.

7. Kimberwarrior45 says:

Retired Public Safety Officer (25 yrs service) not police for that was what I was the job I was hired to do. Discretion is only allowed so far. A Dept i worked for had cameras that they stated would only record when the officer activated them. But when they suspected an officer of a minor policy violation it was learned the cameras were always recording video and audio for your entire shift. everywhere and everything, They lied to us and nothing happened to Admin and it did not change. As time when on Those with experience started to notice that new hires were not at the same level as before but seemed to be only ‘yes’ officers. They would do what ever they were told to do by Admin and nothing more. No care for legalities. Most of the time what was asked was only increase revenue generation in any way possible but some wanted info on enemies or specific person of interest. Some were told to harass a specific person because of a dispute with someone above the Department. One Department actually said they would tell the community what services the police would provide. The reader must remember that the politico’s were who controlled the Department and gave the overall orders to the Admin. So now you have officers who only do what they are told and will be protected to a point but these officers cannot see beyond this.We are getting so very close to a time that this question now has significance ‘Who is John Galt?”

8. CC says:

With more guns and more cops acting like Nazi stormtroopers, it’s only a matter of time before ‘incidents’ occur, will predictably will result in more Nazi stormtroopers.
    I can see a ‘loaded onto a cattle car” moment in the future.
    Got ammo?

• Ragnar says:

Green tip at close range goes through soft body armor. Then of course there’s legs and head. That helmet is for shrapnel. Bullets go through.

I know. Retired military. Been there, done that.

9. Cavguy says:

Cops? No real man needs them.

Ive got a bible in one hand the US Constitution in the other. One tells me how to live my life while the other keeps the government out of my business.

Oh but wait, both have been removed from our daily lives!! And by whom? Who would desire such a rudderless citizenry? Easily controlled by an overlord? By Big Brother?

Ok I’ve got more than those two items in my hands. I have a G22 in a Sherpa on my hip. It’s used to fight my way to my battle rifle. I pray i don’t have to live like that again, but if I must God forgive me as “the bodies hit the floor”!

Good to be back in Green River.

Cavguy

Mr. fbi, dhs, fusion center hero, these comments are for entertainment only and do not reflect any reality.