When things get bad…..

Squirrel, like many other types of small game, makes good eating.  That is provided you have a good squirrel recipe handy.
-Woody

This entry was posted in Hunting. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to When things get bad…..

1. taminator013 says:

I used to go to a friends place in the North woods of PA during deer season. His wife would go out a few days before’ bag a bunch of squirrels and make a cauldron of spaghetti sauce with them. She said that she boiled the meat for about 45 min and cubed it before adding to the sauce, which she would cook all day. Some of the best eating that I ever had…………

2. Big Otis says:

When I was a kid 40+ years ago, my mom would fry squirrel up just like she did fried chicken. Served with mashed potatoes, gravy, and homemade biscuits. Would give anything for some of that now.

3. Ed357 says:

Granny Florence’s was squirrel pilaf……

Squirrel, onions, and her spices to make a broth in pressure cooker….

Then when done, add rice, when rice is tender….

Squirrel pilaf…..yummy.

4. kidme37 says:

We keep our squirrels well fed.

5. Tsquared says:

Nope, I don’t do tree rat.

• Cederq says:

I don’t blame ya Tsquared, but, ya get hungry enough we would eat tree rat and rats with wings too… protein is protein…

6. skipperdaddy says:

Chicken of the trees. Love em.

7. drjim says:

Never had squirrel. Had rabbit a few times and didn’t particularly care for it, and I’m guessing squirrel is similar.

8. Man in TX says:

Better if you skin the squirrel and then age it in a ziploc bag in your refrigerator for about a week. Dredge in flour and then fry it to perfection. Serve the squirrel quarters with biscuits and gravy.

9. bocopro says:

Love the big red Northern squirrels. Ate a ton of ’em as a kid with a .22 rifle growin up in central Indiana. Three times the meat of these scrawny little Southern grays that tease my Aussie Shepherd.

Hardest goddam animal to skin I ever encountered, but worth the effort. Trick to cookin the meat is make sure to score the muscle-sack membrane and soak it in saltwater at least overnite.

Then as MiTX sez,. . . salt, pepper, flour, and an iron skillet with bacon grease and a splash screen on a medium fire. Goes great with home fries and sweet tea.

Purty damned good over an open wood fire near a lake right at sundown on a hot July day when the crappie and bass ain’t been bitin.

When my Dad was about to retire from the army back in 1977, he was putting every penny back that he could, so for that last year and a half we ate nothing but wild game and fish. We ate nothing but squirrel, rabbit, venison, catfish, crappie and bass. Also pork, but I think that was the only storebought meat we ate and that wasn’t even really storebought, we got that from farmers in the area.
      Georgia had a 10 squirrel a day limit and we filled it every time we went out. Love me some squirrel and dumplings.
      You’re right, those little bastards are a bitch to skin. The easiest way was to make a slit in the back, insert 2 fingers from each hand and pull your hands apart. Gut them afterwards.
      To prepare for cooking, we let them soak submerged in a pan of milk in the refrigerator overnight to take the gamey taste out.

• rocketride says:

Or even if they have been biting. We called it ‘surf ‘n turf’. It was gray squirrels in our area, though– almost no red ones around.

10. C.R. says:

My Uncle tried Shake & Bake once , Tree rat jerky anyone ?

11. Brooks says:

Please remember…
    When the great depression hit, some game
    was nearly “hunted” out of existence.
    I would encourage “judicial” planning on what
    game is in your A.O.
    For when it’s gone…it’s gone.
    Myself, I live on a lake…not to mention the fish…but,
    there’s mud turtle galore…squirrel, rabbit, and deer.
    Which will supplement the saved and stored food
    that’s been “squirreled” back for times such as this.
    I would only harvest game when rarely…
    I trust you’d be able to do the same…in order to ensure
    they’re survival too.

12. DocV says:

I grew up in Kentucky. Grandma used to make burgoo on special occasions. That was some good eating

13. bogsidebunny says:

Lots of refugees from up north have brought their survival meals with them and no refrigeration’s required. They keep those meals on the end a tether and even walk around the neighborhood with ’em. They call them “rover”, but I call’s it “Meals on Paws”.

14. Gabby says:

Brothers and Sisters, Amen

15. Mad Jack says:

I first heard about burgoo when I was reading the exploits of the sailor, Tristan Jones. By his account, he used to make burgoo regularly.