Restoration of the last B-36 Bomber in Ft Worth

-Rurik

This entry was posted in Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Restoration of the last B-36 Bomber in Ft Worth

1. Phssthpok says:

Six turnin’, four burnin’ !

2. warhorse says:

magnesium overcast!

• Robert says:

I have kinfolk there. I remember my father telling me the military destroyed a lot of tools and gear by burying it so as to not “disrupt the local economy” when the dirt-poor locals could have used those tools to make a living.

3. grego says:

Good thing it went to Arizona. That will keep it out of nasty, corrosive, salt-air. It was nice to witness all of those volunteers; those old-guys.

4. Gryphon says:

When I first started Working as an A&P Mechanic (on Jets) one of the Old Guys at our place had Worked on these in the Air Force. He said that with the Engines buried in the Wings between the Spars, it was Easier to drop the Engine out of the Wing to do minor Maintenance like Cleaning Spark Plugs than to try and reach in on stuff. They were Designed so an Engine could be Removed and Replaced in 1 Hour by 5 Men. And they had Hundreds of Spares and an Overhaul Shop at the Base.

5. oldsarg says:

It was the first aircraft I was ever in ,at 4 years old, during an airshow in 1962 at Semour Johnson AFB. Now I am much older and there is not a Bomber active in the Air Force I have not worked on. As son as the B-21 comes online I am out! Bombers&Beers

6. DanB says:

B-36, B-47, B-52; they all flew right over our house after taking off from Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ in the 1950’s. B-36 and B-52 would rattle the windows. B-47 with a JATO (jet-assisted take-off) pack lost the pack; can’t remember if it fell on a house or on a car. Car, I think.

GREAT time and place to be a kid! Would like to see each of them take off, fly and land one more time before I kick off.