“Look children, a pheasant!”

I was sitting up against a building in the ghost town of Bodie about 20 years ago when a sage hen came around the corner pecking away and a woman says to her 3 kids, “Look children, a pheasant!”
Now I’m not one to correct somebody in front of their kids so I stood up, leaned over and whispered to the obvious city dweller, “No ma’am, that’s not a pheasant, that’s a sage hen right there.”
She got this snooty expression on her face, looked me up and down in obvious distaste and said, “Well, I think I should know what a pheasant looks like!”
Yes ma’am, you really should.

This entry was posted in True Stories, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to “Look children, a pheasant!”

1. warhorse says:

california condor?

we’ve got turkey vultures around here. damn ugly birds. but they fly beautiful. I could watch them all day.

• Elmo says:

I’m a fan too. Butt-ugly birds, but they’re sure beautiful in flight.
      Not to mention the public services they provide. They don’t get the respect they so richly deserve.

2. Nemo says:

That woman’s gonna b pissed when figures out that vulture is eating her cat!

3. rob says:

In the ’80s I was playing in a bluegrass band on weekends at Roaring Camp in the Santa Cruz mountains, a beautiful spot filled with various natural wonders. One day a city mommy was rhapsodizing to her toddlers about the beauties of a wild rabbit when a great blue heron leaned over and shish-kabobbed it.

Right on, wish I could’ve been there.

• Mike_C says:

Hahaha! Awesome. I seem to recall people being traumatized because a great blue on the grounds of Stanford University was shish-kabobbing squirrels a few years back. Made the national news, of all things.

“Well, I think I should know what a pheasant looks like!”
      Citiot. (Or is it “cidiot”?) Kinda makes you wonder what other nonsense she’s putting into her kids’ heads, eh?

A few summers ago I spotted an injured (bum wing) cicada on the sidewalk outside my dad’s apartment building around noon. A young couple walked by, peered at it, and the woman said, “Eww, what’s that?” At which the man opined, “Holy crap. That’s the largest housefly I have ever seen!” I thought he was kidding, but he was totally straight faced and serious. “Gross!” said the woman, nodding as they made their way into the building.

4. DanB says:

What is that peasant woman doing looking at the cond…. Oh, sorry, guess I missed the H out of that one.

5. beefnguns says:

We went to the coast town of Cambria one weekend and it was full of vultures. Sidewalks, parking lots, trees, fuckers were everywhere.

• Heathen says:

Hinkley Ohio, Annual Buzzard Day Celebration.

Capistrano has their swallows returning, Hinkley has buzzards

6. Padawan says:

I’d put a leash on it and make it my pet.